PNW Cruisers

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
We're in Princeville on Kauai. Third time in last ~10 yrs. This yr is a lot of wind/rain and high surf warnings.. Not sure of a rendezvous that far south....

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Bet your temps are not 17 degrees and looking at 15inches of snow in the next 36 hours.

I could handle 15 inches of rain if the temps were in the mid 70's to 80's. ;)

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
The rain is no issue. Its the winds and high surf warnings. I like to go swimming and snorkeling and even though I'm an excellent swimmer, I dont go out with high surfs and obvious rips/cross currrents. There are some beaches toward the south but very crowded since a lot of beaches are closed...we leave sat and its supposed to be this way the whole week.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
I like to go swimming and snorkeling and even though I'm an excellent swimmer, I dont go out with high surfs and obvious rips/cross currrents.
A wise choice. I can still remember snorkeling in a small lagoon south of town on the Kona coast that was filled with a variety of stunning and colorful sea life, sea turtles, etc. I grabbed the foot of one of the turtles as it passed by and he pulled me along nicely.

Just too cold to go snorkeling here. :laugh: Almost to cold to go sailing; almost.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Happy New Year to all you PNW cruisers. May it be a most prosperous one for you and your family. Snow in the forecast, so hard bound here. Had plans to spend a few days on the water, but ...

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Thanks Terry. I'm looking forward to 2017 and wish to meet you all in some island anchorage

Les

Oct 22, 2014
Happy NY to all
Mark, you still I the Islands?
Suspecting that the coming chill may be enough to slush the Everett Marina. I'm stuck here for another week or so. Maybe the su will return by then and the Sound will let me venture for a day or two. At least a Hopeful wish for the New Year

Oct 22, 2014
Mark. Back in time for the chill after the bake on the islands. Seems a flight back to paradise about now would be a great idea.

May 20, 2016
I leave for Eastern Caribbean next weekend - a week of booze, snorkeling, and general relaxing -- The wife booked us on a Holland American Cruise with drink package.

John - just got back from Everett - no slush in the marina nor snow on the ground (I have snow at the house in Sammamish). Almost have the alternator bracket project wrapped up.

Oct 22, 2014
Do say. Don't forget the pictures.

I'm still thinking about your Jeep remote switch idea.

Have fun.

May 20, 2016
John - I have an "inwork" photo over on my haul out thread. I'll take pictures when I get to the boat tonight. At this point I'm unsure if I have a ton of work left or almost ready to wrap it up. - This alternator bracket picks up four mounting studs from the exhaust manifold ( installed ) and one or two that hook into the thermostat housing - One of these two location is "plugged" with something metallic (this one doesn't go into the block) , the other I need to look at more but may be broken off at the block - or may just be missing. I bought gaskets in case I decide to pull the t-stat housing (broken bolt) - or just drill and tap the housing for the bolts... I'll take pic's of what I've done so far - and post on the other thread.

Sure looking forward to the warm water of the Caribbean

Les

Jan 28, 2015
Tartan 30 Anacortes, WA
OK, the days are starting to get longer, which means it's time to start planning my week long cruise next summer. This year's gonna be a doozy! I want to make it from Anacortes all the way up to Desolation Sound and back, with a few days to fart around up there ... all in 9 days. How am I going to do that? I'll find a couple masochistic crew members who love to punish themselves on the water. We're going to sail round the clock all the way up, and round the clock all the way back. I'll probably do this in June. What do you all think? Crazy?

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
OK, the days are starting to get longer, which means it's time to start planning my week long cruise next summer. This year's gonna be a doozy! I want to make it from Anacortes all the way up to Desolation Sound and back, with a few days to fart around up there ... all in 9 days. How am I going to do that? I'll find a couple masochistic crew members who love to punish themselves on the water. We're going to sail round the clock all the way up, and round the clock all the way back. I'll probably do this in June. What do you all think? Crazy?
First questions: How many n.mi. is that one way?; What would be the Tartan's VMG against prevailing NWerlies?; Is it wise to travel at night along a route with so many deadheads floating about and w/ a couple of ??:pray: crew members?:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2015
Tartan 30 Anacortes, WA
All great questions King.

The round the clock sails will be about 100 NM. Winds up here are flukey, especially in June, so it's hard to say what my VMG will be. My tank holds 20 gallons, I burn about .75 GPH at cruise, so I'll fire up the motor if winds and currents just aren't cooperating. Deadheads and shipping lanes are indeed a concern. My AIS will help with the shipping traffic up the strait, not sure what I can do about those deadheads. Cross my fingers and hope that thick Tartan hull can deal with it?

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
All great questions King.

The round the clock sails will be about 100 NM. Winds up here are flukey, especially in June, so it's hard to say what my VMG will be. My tank holds 20 gallons, I burn about .75 GPH at cruise, so I'll fire up the motor if winds and currents just aren't cooperating. Deadheads and shipping lanes are indeed a concern. My AIS will help with the shipping traffic up the strait, not sure what I can do about those deadheads. Cross my fingers and hope that thick Tartan hull can deal with it?
I thought it more like 150 NM. Figure VMG from a "worst case" or pessimistic scenario--e.g., 2 to 3 days of 15 to 20 kt from the northwest and a "best case" or optimistic one- 2 to 3 days of 15 to 20 kt from the southeast--take the average as a starting place. Say it's 4.5 kt; then 150/4.5 = 33 hr if you do not hit anything. That would cost you about 25 gal diesel fuel if motoring up; so, you'll need at least another 10 gal diesel fuel to take along if non-stop motoring.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Crazy!! If you think you're gonna "sail"all the way up in 3 days, then "fart around" for several days, and "sail" back in three days, you are dreaming. If you do this trip in that time, you are going to be motoring with (hopefully) good spring tides tides that might help one direction and not the other. A lot of deadheads are floating vertically. With any wind and wave action, you could come down on one and not even the " Tartan" hull would withstand it. I'd enjoy the week and stay in the islands..you can also go outside for some sailing in the strait..

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Dont forget you're gonna half to spend time at both Canadian and US customs that may be out of the way of your intended course..unless everyone has Nexus cards..

Jan 28, 2015
Tartan 30 Anacortes, WA
Thanks for the great input guys! I agree, those round the clock journeys there and back are very ambitious. But I've sailed every square inch of the Salish Sea from the south sound to Nanaimo, including a number of extended cruises through the San Juans and Gulf Islands, and several overnight sails through the straits and islands. I want MORE! I want to see Desolation Sound, and for some sick reason I seem to enjoy punishing myself and my boat. And there IS civilization along the way in case we need to duck in somewhere and change the plan.

Kings, I certainly don't plan to motor the entire way, but your point is well taken. Strapping on jugs of extra fuel may be a good idea, but if we suck more fuel than planned we can always duck into one of several harbors along the way and wait for the fuel dock to open.

Mark, provided nothing disasterous happens along the way, I think this is doable in 9 days. My tentative plan looks something like this:

Sat: Anacortes to Montegue Harbor, with a stop at Pender to clear customs. 48 NM
Sun - Mon: Montegue to Cortes Island. 105 NM
Tues - Thurs: Bounce around Desolation Sound
Fri - Sat: Desolation to Sucia, with a stop at Pt Roberts to clear customs. 115 NM
Sun: Sucia to Anacortes. 25 NM