PNW Cold Weather

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Will give you a shout when I firm up my plans. Between the snow, ice and my annual physicals med/ dental etc. I've been marooned in Oregon. The web and YouTube have been the sailing outlet. More of a tease than a solution.

forbin

Nov 4, 2013
Tartan 3700 Seattle - Elliot Bay
I use the same heater Terry posted (in the vberth blowing aft) as well as an air circulator (the ones they call dehumidifiers that aren't really) in the aft cabin. I also leave the two main hatches, vberth and main cabin, in their "cracked" position to allow the humid air to escape. I've been doing it this way for three years now with no humidity issues. The key if you leave a heater on is the ventilation to allow the humid air to escape.

The only exception was a couple years ago when it was in the teens at night for a week and never got above freezing during the day and then I left the diesel heater on low to keep the temp up. On a side note, I think that's the last time it was reliably running...good memories. If anyone thinks they can help with that (Espar Hydronic)...my post asking for help is here.

Brian

Last edited:

Gene S

Nov 29, 2015
Delphia 37 Tacoma
Thanks. I have ordered the WM heater on Amazon (less expensive than WM). Be here on Wednesday. What are you doing to keep down the condensation? I have 2 of the WM units, but it is still very wet inside. Water dripping on the woodwork from the top windows.
I have 2 small portlights opened a crack and there is a vent in the companion way hatch. My gauge said 35% RH. You may need some ventilation.

Dec 29, 2015
Beneteau 473 Mukilteo WA
Thanks Gene, I left open two small port lights yesterday. Today I stopped by and the boat was dry and 44 degrees. Problem solved. Thanks everyone, this is quite a great system we have here!

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Glad you solved the problem..do you have any dorade vents? I keep the boat closed up tight and turn one vent into prevailing winds and the other somewhat opposite. No heat down below and have zero moisture problems. If you have dorade vents, I'm wondering if judicious placements would substitute for opening the ports. Oh ya, i do have a two way vent in the aft cockpit combing going to 4" "dryer hoses" under the cockpit so there should be some ventilation going there..Bilge is clean and dry. I virtually have no moisture issues.....

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
I agree that the electric heater shown by Terry Cox is a good dependable heater, and as Stu Jackson said, using a heater doesnt have to be a worry if you build your confidence by knowing what you have and how to use it.
buy the heater and take it to the boat and spend the weekend with it running on high. and when you leave the boat turn it down to about half or a little less.... if it can run on high for 30 hours without overheating the wiring and blowing breakers, it can surly run at half throttle safely.... just make sure nothing can fall off the counter or settee onto the heater if the boat should experience some heavy wave action, and it should be fine

we have the WM model as shown by Terry, and we also have this one by honeywell, which i like better because it puts out more heat.. and although its taller, it has a low center of gravity and a bit wider base, so its stable wont tip over easily...

on our boat, I remove the lower companionway step and place the heater near the access so some of the heat goes towards the engine compartment (on the heat exchanger side) and some remains in the cabin.... doing this, we havent had problems in the two winters that the temps have dipped into the low 20's for a few days at a time, since we have owned the boat..

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Just another bland PNW winter sunset that you might enjoy. Taken from our Mukilteo home living room last week.

Sunset.jpg

Sunset1.jpg

Sunset2.jpg

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
In Everett also - and have a WM heater, oil filled "radiator" style and de-humidifier. I drain the humidifier to the sink (the only thru-hull I keep open). Haven't been to the boat in almost 2 weeks - getting the shakes.

Oct 22, 2014
Cross fingers. Heard the ice was breaking up. Due for some flooding now from the river. Welcome back. It might make you reconsider leaving the Caribbean. :laugh:

May 20, 2016
I hate to say I'm not looking forward to getting the broken studs out of the block ( I didn't break them - they came free that way when I bought the boat). I did order a new alternator so hopefully it will fit without fabing up a new swing arm.

Les

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Shelter Bay Marina just sent me an e-mail warning of high winds in the next day or so. Just to let you know. Forecast shows 30 MPH winds gusting to 50. Checked on ours last week and we should be okay. Just a heads up.

Oct 22, 2014
Terry I also heard about the wind issue from a weather man I follow. Said that a drop in pressure to the 972-978 mb level. This usually indicates a strong wind front leading the low pressure. Could be like last time. Depends on the way the front moves up the coast.
NOTE: as mentioned last week, some model runs indicate a POWERFUL WIND STORM moving up from the SW late Sun or early Mon, Jan 22,23. Center pressures range from 972-978 as the storm tracks directly over OR.​

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
Bit of a late reply but here goes. Our yacht club does not permit forced air electric heaters to run unattended. On my Hunter 466 I use three WM round 100w dh units and one oil filled radiator. I set the radiator on medium (900 w) and the boat rarely dips below 53 degrees. With the weather warming somewhat I will dial it back to the low setting of 600 w. BTW the high setting is 1500w. I purchased the Pelonius unit from Home Depot for $40. Works great is and is widely used throughout our club.

Oct 22, 2014
oil filled radiator
Ok I can understand the concern of the forced air units. They use a resistance coil to produce heat. There is a potential fire danger if the coil burns through - shorts. What is the danger with the oil filled units? Are they really any safer?

May 20, 2016
much safer - in forced air - your relying on air flow to keep the internal parts ok - if any of the safety's fail (tip over over temp...) and airflow is limited (bearings obstructions) you will have major problems. Also if your too close to combustible stuff the FA can over heat the and start a fire that way. A oil unit can't get hot enough to cause a fire, even if in direct contact with combustible material.

Oct 22, 2014
Thanks. So they use a high flash point oil? Does the unit work like a water heater with an emmersed heating element?