Please help to select the proper pulley

kco

May 19, 2019
Hunter 25.5 2 Portneuf, Quebec
Hello,
One more question... guys are so helpful here!!!!
what kind of pulley I need to install here ? see picture, pulley location indicated in red
pulley.PNG

So I think it's for the main sail halyard... and if I'm right I would need another pulley at the bottom of the mast ?
My sailboat is a Hunter 25.5

thanks in advance
kco

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
It's called a foot block or turning block. The size is based on the hole spacing. Possible that the Harken store here (there ya go @Dave Groshong ) may have exactly what you are looking for.
Judging by the look of that lower hole, somebody's already tried a different sized one without a proper backing plate and loaded it up really well.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
I'm thinking that a jib sheet goes through that block, not a halyard.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
You need a turning foot block there. And the turning block at the mast is actually built inside the foot of the mast, and not next to the base.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Actually, @Sailavie1 might chime in here, could that be the mount for the mast stay like you have?

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
Hunter 25.5, best guess not knowing the age of the OP’s vessel. Most 25.5 Hunters show this location in for sale adds.

E720FCFA-7BB0-4AAC-A15E-01E0B28EB4B0.jpeg

kco

May 19, 2019
ok thanks!
I was first figured out a single flat pulley,
after the first @BlowMeAway picture, I was a bit discouraged... a triple pulley, but I do not have the one in front of the mast on the picture....
I understand now that after market sales add is a good source of pictures/info... and a picture worth a thousand words
So, I need a double pulley! Yeah!
Now I'm trying to figure out what is the other cable on the second @BlowMeAway picture. From the mast going on the port side...
Like @Jackdaw said, turning block at the mast is actually built inside the foot of the mast.
Both halyards (Main and Genoa) use 2 pulleys on the starboard side.
But... at the bottom of my mast they are 2 others pulley (on the port side) not used ?

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
The other side may be for a spinnaker halyard and topping lift. Whatever you choose, you'll of course need to rework and have a good backing.

Oct 31, 2012
Hunter 2008 H25 Lake Wabamun
Actually, @Sailavie1 might chime in here, could that be the mount for the mast stay like you have?
That is a very different set up than mine. The older H25.5 do not have the integrated mast raising system like the new 25. Jackdaw is probably right on (as usual)

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Not sure if your mast is either Kenyon Isomat or Z Spar. However the 25.5 had halyards exiting thru the mast sheaves to a two block deck organizer and at that time, Hunter used the Schaefer double deck organizer, series 5, made out of aluminum. There is a 2 over 2 deck organizer as well if you intend to run additional lines say for a spinnaker. The halyards exited the mast via two sheaves attached to mast on starboard going to a double deck organizer and led back to the cockpit. I would suggest measuring the distance between the holes in the deck to make sure it was the two or a three turning block deck organizer.

Generally, Hunter attached blocks two ways. First via an aluminum plate encapsulated in the deck fiberglass or straight thru. If you do not see an access panel inside/bolt hole thru the the deck, probably you have the aluminum encapsulated in the deck. You will need to check and whatever you do, caulk with either tape or 4200. Make sure you never use 5200 on the deck as it is a permanent caulk or referred to as Satan's glue.
Crazy Dave

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
By the way there is your boat under boat info. which you can access by boat info, Hunter resources, 25.5 and then to photos/mods/downloads etc... In addition go to the top of Hunter owners and look at the first thread by phil herring which is all the info on boats built years ago assimulated by two friends of mine. Most of the docs were destroyed when the roof over the records storage room collapsed due to a severe storm years ago.

kco

May 19, 2019
many thanks all,
we sailed the first year without and I did the job to install the organizer last year,
I had to drill and tap a new hole because I didn't find an organizer with the proper screw hole pitch... I used butyl tape, seems good, I will tork again next season when warm temp... I think the butyl layer should be thinner, more compressed that what it is actually... I cannot see if it leaks or not because no access from the other side (I'm thinking to make an opening here soon)

sail safe