Please help figure out boat brand

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
On the upper right hand corner of the transom there will be a number. It will start with 3 or 4 letters followed by numbers and letters. This is the Hull Identification Number. The first group of letters is the builder's ID, then next group of numbers is the model number and hull number the last group of letters and numbers is the build date.

Take a look the HIN and then google the HIN number should return the manufacturer.

Apr 26, 2018
Catalina Catalina 30 Bayview
Where is it? I had a girlfriend in high school whose Dad custom built a boat similar. At least it looks spitting image. Is it in the Midwest? Possible built in Wisconsin? It was fast and they raced it out of Menasha WI for many years on Lake Winnebago.

Jul 11, 2018
Unknown Unknown Marquette, MI
Where is it? I had a girlfriend in high school whose Dad custom built a boat similar. At least it looks spitting image. Is it in the Midwest? Possible built in Wisconsin?
The boat is currently in Escanaba Michigan, lower portion of the upper peninsula on lake michigan, close enough to wisconsin to make sense.

Apr 26, 2018
His name was Barry Hammerberg, he was a contributor to this site. He has since passed. Dang, I cannot recall for the life of me what it was. I’ll see what I can find out. It was fast, quality built by a engineer type guy. It may have been production, but I can’t recall. I raced on it 3 times. If it’s been reasonably kept up, nice boat.

Jul 11, 2018
His name was Barry Hammerberg, he was a contributor to this site. He has since passed. Dang, I cannot recall for the life of me what it was. I’ll see what I can find out. It was fast, quality built by a engineer type guy. It may have been production, but I can’t recall. I raced on it 3 times. If it’s been reasonably kept up, nice boat.
Thanks I appreciate all the help so far. All I know is it was in the water last year and they will take $1,000 for it...

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I don’t know anything about the boat but the trailer looks like it is worth almost that

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Lots of clever details. Interested to hear what it is. I’ve seen that transom design that shrouds the rudder, but for the life of me don’t remember where.

Apr 26, 2018
The boat used to be named Flutterby and was in Menasha, Wisconsin. It was owned by Barry Hammerberg and Ruth Utschig in the late 80s, early 90s. They were part of Neenah Nodaway Yacht Club and raced there for many years. Still working on manufacturer vs custom build. I am trying to part the cobwebs in my addled memory. Sadly now, I realized when I moved away I lost (or did not maintain) my contacts with the region. I did reach out.....will try and find out more. My wife wondered why I cared so much, but sometimes boats with a personal historical connection drive my brain crazy!!

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2018
I reached out to the builders daughter. She was indeed built by Barry Hammerberg. Will get more info on her, the builders spouse may know more. Barry was a extremely knowledgeable and ocd mechanical engineer and a nice guy. If you can pick that boat and trailer up for a grand, I’d go for it. If you don’t, send me info and the builders family might want it. I’d go get it, but 1800 miles is a bit much. Any info on condition of her would be happily sent to builders family. They might like to know she is in good hands.

Jul 11, 2018
I reached out to the builders daughter. She was indeed built by Barry Hammerberg. Will get more info on her, the builders spouse may know more. Barry was a extremely knowledgeable and ocd mechanical engineer and a nice guy. If you can pick that boat and trailer up for a grand, I’d go for it. If you don’t, send me info and the builders family might want it. I’d go get it, but 1800 miles is a bit much. Any info on condition of her would be happily sent to builders family. They might like to know she is in good hands.
Thanks for all the info! My dad is going to check it out this weekend and I will make a decision then. I have the serial number since your still considering the make. the MIC is NRY, says Northern Yacht that closed down sometime around 94'. Any other info would be greatly appreciated