Registered users don't see ads

Please help figure out boat brand

Discussion in 'Ask All Sailors' started by benny1385, Jul 11, 2018. Add this thread to a FAQ

Tags:
  1. benny1385

benny1385

Joined Jul 11, 2018
    4 posts, 1 likes
    Unknown Unknown
    US Marquette, MI
    Hello,
    New to the forum, I am interested in buying this boat from a distance and I am not sure what the brand is. Can anyone identify this boat from the pictures? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. dlochner

dlochner

Joined Jan 11, 2014
    2,669 posts, 1,102 likes
    Sabre 362
    113 US Fair Haven, NY
    On the upper right hand corner of the transom there will be a number. It will start with 3 or 4 letters followed by numbers and letters. This is the Hull Identification Number. The first group of letters is the builder's ID, then next group of numbers is the model number and hull number the last group of letters and numbers is the build date.

Take a look the HIN and then google the HIN number should return the manufacturer.

3. Dave Groshong

Dave Groshong SBO Staff Staff Member

Joined Jan 25, 2007
    1,336 posts, 92 likes
    Catalina 22
    US Seattle
    Looks a little like a Reinell 26

4. uralite

uralite

Joined Apr 26, 2018
    121 posts, 38 likes
    Catalina Catalina 30
    US Bayview
    Where is it? I had a girlfriend in high school whose Dad custom built a boat similar. At least it looks spitting image. Is it in the Midwest? Possible built in Wisconsin? It was fast and they raced it out of Menasha WI for many years on Lake Winnebago.

5. benny1385

benny1385

Joined Jul 11, 2018
    4 posts, 1 likes
    Unknown Unknown
    US Marquette, MI
    The boat is currently in Escanaba Michigan, lower portion of the upper peninsula on lake michigan, close enough to wisconsin to make sense.

6. uralite

uralite

Joined Apr 26, 2018
    121 posts, 38 likes
    Catalina Catalina 30
    US Bayview
    His name was Barry Hammerberg, he was a contributor to this site. He has since passed. Dang, I cannot recall for the life of me what it was. I’ll see what I can find out. It was fast, quality built by a engineer type guy. It may have been production, but I can’t recall. I raced on it 3 times. If it’s been reasonably kept up, nice boat.

7. benny1385

benny1385

Joined Jul 11, 2018
    4 posts, 1 likes
    Unknown Unknown
    US Marquette, MI
    Thanks I appreciate all the help so far. All I know is it was in the water last year and they will take $1,000 for it...

Will Gilmore likes this.
  8. uralite

uralite

Joined Apr 26, 2018
    121 posts, 38 likes
    Catalina Catalina 30
    US Bayview
    That’s pretty good if it’s still decent.

9. rgranger

rgranger

Joined Jan 19, 2010
    5,519 posts, 1,218 likes
    Hunter 26
    US Smith Mountain Lake
    I don’t know anything about the boat but the trailer looks like it is worth almost that

Will Gilmore likes this.
  10. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore

Joined Oct 19, 2017
    3,339 posts, 1,521 likes
    O'Day 19
    US Littleton, NH
    That's a good looking boat.

-Will (Dragonfly)

11. Jackdaw

Jackdaw

Joined Nov 8, 2010
    9,560 posts, 2,612 likes
    Beneteau First 36.7 & 260
    US Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
    Lots of clever details. Interested to hear what it is. I’ve seen that transom design that shrouds the rudder, but for the life of me don’t remember where.

12. uralite

uralite

Joined Apr 26, 2018
    121 posts, 38 likes
    Catalina Catalina 30
    US Bayview
    The boat used to be named Flutterby and was in Menasha, Wisconsin. It was owned by Barry Hammerberg and Ruth Utschig in the late 80s, early 90s. They were part of Neenah Nodaway Yacht Club and raced there for many years. Still working on manufacturer vs custom build. I am trying to part the cobwebs in my addled memory. Sadly now, I realized when I moved away I lost (or did not maintain) my contacts with the region. I did reach out.....will try and find out more. My wife wondered why I cared so much, but sometimes boats with a personal historical connection drive my brain crazy!!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    Will Gilmore likes this.
  13. uralite

uralite

Joined Apr 26, 2018
    121 posts, 38 likes
    Catalina Catalina 30
    US Bayview
    I reached out to the builders daughter. She was indeed built by Barry Hammerberg. Will get more info on her, the builders spouse may know more. Barry was a extremely knowledgeable and ocd mechanical engineer and a nice guy. If you can pick that boat and trailer up for a grand, I’d go for it. If you don’t, send me info and the builders family might want it. I’d go get it, but 1800 miles is a bit much. Any info on condition of her would be happily sent to builders family. They might like to know she is in good hands.

kloudie1 and Will Gilmore like this.
  14. benny1385

benny1385

Joined Jul 11, 2018
    4 posts, 1 likes
    Unknown Unknown
    US Marquette, MI
    Thanks for all the info! My dad is going to check it out this weekend and I will make a decision then. I have the serial number since your still considering the make. the MIC is NRY, says Northern Yacht that closed down sometime around 94'. Any other info would be greatly appreciated

15. uralite

uralite

Joined Apr 26, 2018
    121 posts, 38 likes
    Catalina Catalina 30
    US Bayview
    Any updates on Flutterby purchase?

NEW rigid hatch covers
Hatch protection like never before. Tough, secure, installs in seconds.
Sail Trim Chart and Guide
When it comes to sailing, as basic as salt and pepper and just as indispensable!
Stainless documentation placard
Who said a documentation placard cant be beautiful? Brushed stainless with laser-fused numerals.
Gray Enterprises port gasket
Stop winter leaks. Compare our price!