Please advise: Newbie is about to purchase first boat!

Feb 4, 2018
Hunter 33 Cherubini unsure
I have zero experience with boats and I am desperate to learn sailing. My future plans involve sailing abroad. I was originally looking at very small sailboats to learn on, but read a few times that these boats are just as easy to handle. Would anyone be willing to advise:

https://greenville.craigslist.org/boa/d/ft-hunter-sailboat/6475780843.html

I think the price seems very fair and the condition seems to be very well for the age and price. My goal with this boat would be to keep it docked in the lake while I learn the first year and then eventually when I am comfortable, moving it to Charleston and painting the bottom and sides when we complete the move. Eventually sailing to the Bahamas and Fl. Keys would be a goal.

Any and all opinions are welcome here.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Without being able to inspect the hull, keel rigging and sails, it's impossible to tell if it's worth buying. Any one of those, if damaged or unusable can exceed the asking price

Feb 4, 2018
Thanks! I am hoping this boat turns out to be what we are looking for. Anyone know a surveyor in the area that could check into it or tell me what to expect for that to cost?

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I see the boat is in Greenville. Where in SC are you? I live in Sumter and sail on Lake Murray.
Welcome to the forum and to sailing!

Feb 4, 2018
I'm in Summerville, close to Charleston. Due to my work schedule the location limits me to spending time with the boat to every other weekend.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
One reason I volunteered to be on the Board of Stewards at our sailing club is so I would have an excuse to go to the boat once a month. So I know the feeling.

Spend time really looking at the boat even with a survey. Insist on taking it out for a spin. And go aboard when it’s raining. We looked at two boats in Charleston that leaked like nobody’s business. I hated going during the rain but I’m glad I did.

PS I have a first cousin in Flower Town I haven’t seen in years. Tell her I said hello.

Mar 29, 2011
Beneteau 361 Charlotte,Vt
Another thought you may want to consider since you said you have no experience sailing. There is a ASA sailing school in Charleston. Take a sailing lesson and find out if there is a sailing club nearby. In this way you can sail their boats for a season or two. You will get a feeling of what kind of boat you really want or if sailing is really for you. I've seen a lot of people that buy a sailboat thinking that they will love it. End up being too unsure to leave the dock or just hating it. I sailed club boats for 4 years before I bought my first boat. Just a thought.

Mike,

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@Withaporpoise Sailing small boats, dinghies like the El Toro or really any small boat 17 feet and under will let you learn the nitty gritty of sailing. They are tender, they tack quickly, they heal quickly and they swamp if you error. But they let you come back for more. Everything is slower in a big boat. Like riding in a go cart then moving up to a sedan.

Feb 4, 2018
Im pretty confident I will learn it fast. I am also pretty confident I will like it. My other hobby is kiteboarding so I am kind of relying on wind to fuel my fire. I am on the fence about spending this much on a first boat, but I also think its a really good deal based on my research and what I have seen. I guess I was kind of hoping to hop on here and see some love or hate for the boat.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
If the boat checks out with no insurmountable issues the price is not too much for a first boat. If you decide sailing isn’t for you let me know.

Oct 22, 2014
Kiteboarding is like driving a McLaren 570GT... while sailing a Hunter 33 is like driving a Soccer Moms Van...

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
John Cheribini called his 33 the “the Queen of the Fleet.” Definitely make your offer conditional on a survey. I’d be excited to own a 33 in decent shape!

Feb 4, 2018
@jssailem, That comment made me laugh! Maybe a horse drawinn carriage is in order haha. As for the "Queen of the fleet" quote, I suppose that makes it would like it would be a nice first boat to experience for 5 years or so.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Be sure to get a thorough survey as mentioned. The sale price is only the beginning of your cost. Expect to need to spend more to get it ready for open water. How is it set for navigation equipment?
Enjoy learning to sail when you get your "new" boat. No better feeling than being master and commander of your own boat.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I have zero experience with boats and I am desperate to learn sailing. My future plans involve sailing abroad. I was originally looking at very small sailboats to learn on, but read a few times that these boats are just as easy to handle.
Withaporpoise,
Welcome to this great forum and this great community.
Your statement about the handling of big boats vs small boats is mostly true. There are differences, but the learning curve is about the same. Docking is not the same, for example, big boats are harder. The biggest difference is paying for the boat. Big boats are much harder than little boats:doh:.

What you should spend some time on is thinking about what kind of sailing you expect to do. You said you are interested in sailing abroad. When is that likely to be? Where, exactly? Are you looking to cruise down the ICW to the Bahamas and island hop in the Caribbean or do you want to sail to Europe? Are you alone or will you have company?

What I'm getting at is, $9000+ for a first boat is fine if you need a boat like that, but pushing into that range because it's a "good deal" when your plans may be five years or more out will cost you more in the long run. I bought my 19' weekender for $1000 plus the new main and whatever refinish/repair/replace project may be in the near future. Dragonfly sleeps four has room in the cockpit, a spot for a head, a sink and a small amount of storage for overnight gear. I can also trailer her anywhere.

If you are going to have trouble spending a lot of time on your boat in the beginning and are just learning to sail, you may get much more out of a smaller starter boat like that. Think about choices like, keeping her on a trailer in your driveway for free or paying for a slip until you are ready for your big trip. Deals like this come along all the time. If you are not expecting to need a boat like this for awhile, it will be cheaper, in the long run, to start small. If you keep your boat well maintained, you will be able to sell her again for about what you paid for her minus expenses. :what:

On the other hand, if you are ready to commit and that's the kind of sailing you want to do, than go for it. The boat looks like fun. The Craigslist ad doesn't show enough detail for a good opinion. Go over the included equipment and lay eyes on everything, your eyes. Definitely get a pro's opinion and pay attention, the leaning has already started and it won't stop until you stop sailing. It's all very exciting and the SBO community is now with you.:dancing:

- Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 22, 2014
@Withaporpoise Will makes some good arguments for a near time purchase to learn sailing then a second boat purchase to go out adventuring.