Plastic Sea Cocks

• Thread starter John Finch (Doxology, C30 #6195)
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John Finch (Doxology, C30 #6195)

How can I deal with those plastic sea cocks? I recently purchased the boat and the sea cocks hadn't been exercised in about 6 months. The inlet/drain for the head/lav was frozen shut. after several attempts, I got it open and it worked a few times. I thought if I could get some mineral oil to it, it would be ok. However, when I attempted to close it, it broke. The sink drain was ok, but tight. I poured mineral oil in the drain, closed-opened-closed-broke the valve. I would like to lubricate the sea cocks for the engine cooling-water intake, and the wash-down pump intake, but I'm afraid to attempt it. HELP!!! Somebody?

J

James

Marelon seacocks

John, What you have are Marelon seacocks, which are made of glass reinforced nylon. Forespar is the supplier, and these are available from West Marine or BOAT/US. I'd recommend replacing all your valves with new ones. The Marelon seacock will not corrode, however, it likes regular exercise. Had a similar experience with one on our cat30. You could have your diver install tapered plugs into the thru hull openings. That would allow you to remove the seacocks for cleaning or replacement. Seacocks, of course, should be closed when not in use.

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

Agreed

You obviously know that you need to replace them. You have two options: As James said, plug the holes from the outside (and plug them well!) & replace the marelon w/bronze (personal preference) or haul out & replace the marelon w/bronze! The former is the cheaper version if you can do the majority of the work yourself. It's really not that complicated so you should be able to manage just fine. Replace them SOON! No fun having a new boat sitting at the bottom of your marina! LaDonna

Status
Not open for further replies.