Plastic parts

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Hi all,

I was doing my upgrade to the laptop we always carry while we cruise and stopped in our local shop where they build laptops. I've known Will for 20 years and his father Bill used to head the computer engineering department at the university. They are always developing useful technology and I just happened to notice some activity going on in the back of the workshop.

There was a machine with a spool of plastic line melting it on an object sitting on a pad. What it was doing was building a part from a 3D image of a broken part from an antique car. Bill explained that the layers were less than a human hair and they could duplicate anything once they had the 3D image in the computer. He mentioned the density and the temperature range it could withstand but my mind was already thinking of parts on the boat that you can't get parts for anymore. It reminded me of the Sci-fi movies that we've seen making stuff with computers. Bill lost me when he got into what the computer was doing but he finally got around to LED's and solar technology. I mentioned that we've utilized solar on our boat and he got in to more technology stuff I just have no clue about.

So my plan is to save any broken parts so that I could have them remade with plastic. Maybe next year they will have a new machine that makes stuff with metal.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
When I was looking for some parts for my G Scale trains I found a couple of sites that will supply parts made by 3D printing. Neat technology.
Our local library has a 3D printer. You take their short course to get certified to use it, then can reserve time to use it. I'm waiting for the next scheduled course.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Metal parts can be reproduced using multi axis CNC machines, just they aren't cheap like the 3D printers are and usual need pretty advance software on a computer to render them.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
See what happens when you go cruising, you miss out on all these advances in science. It was like I sat under a palm tree all day watching bikini's and drinking rum.
Sucks to be you ....

:biggrin:

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
There are 3D metal printers but they run a couple hundred thousand $. 3 axis CNC milling machines are much cheaper but harder to operate. My 3D printer cost $200. I've been printing with PLA plastic so far which is cheap and easy to use but I'm looking into plastics that stand up better to outdoor exposure. Lots of fun to play with.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
There are 3D metal printers but they run a couple hundred thousand $. 3 axis CNC milling machines are much cheaper but harder to operate. My 3D printer cost $200. I've been printing with PLA plastic so far which is cheap and easy to use but I'm looking into plastics that stand up better to outdoor exposure. Lots of fun to play with.

Lowe's looks to be placing 3D printers in their stores for paid customer use.
Lowe’s Introduces In-Store 3D Printing for Customized Products & Outdated Replacement Parts

Then you could do lost wax method casting in aluminum or bronze.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
That is wicked cool! I might have to go break something so I have an excuse to go to Lowes.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
We've been doing printed parts. The print process is extremely slow but really cheap. Entry level printers can be under $400

Ken

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
When I needed some no longer available parts from Lewmar for a winch, they were kind enough to send me the technical plans so that I could have them made for me. When the time comes, I believe the cheapest way would be printing. This tech is going to put a lot of the less versatile machine shops out of business.

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
See what happens when you go cruising, you miss out on all these advances in science. It was like I sat under a palm tree all day watching bikini's and drinking rum.
I'll choose bikinis and rum anytime to 3 or 4 or 5 D E or F printing. :D

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Entry level printers can be under $400
So as I understand the first plastic part costs $400. The next two are free. And after that the newness of the unit is worn off the next better, improved unit is about $1000.
Seems that’s how it went with page printing. Dot matrix ribbon. Large format dot matrix ribbon. Laser printer. Ink jet. Color ink jet. Etc...
it never stops.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Got a buddy of mine that will make one off parts on 3D printing or CNC machined parts. You can check out his web site:

www.newgeneng.com

He's a really brilliant design engineer that's works with me and runs a small side business at the above. He can make just about anything... Just a FYI...

dj

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
My 3d printer cost less than $250 and my, at the time, 14yo assembled it. We upgraded several parts on it by printing them ourselves. I also replaced the heated bed with a better one. After some practice and tuning you upgrade printing material to ABS and can print stuff rigged enough for higher temperatures. 2lb spool of ABS is about $25 and will last several large projects. You will need a decent computer, a slicer program (cheap or free) and too design parts, a 3d CAD program. These can get very expensive. Your imagination is your limiting factor. I've made a bunch of stuff. Most recent was a cam lever for my Autohelm 3000. It takes time but its satisfying when it works. Ove gone through probably 10 to 12 spools of material.