Planning ahead to (re)finish my keel

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Is this going to be a problem? Last Spring I removed the rust and refinished my cast iron keel. I got to everything except the bottom of the bulb where it rests on the trailer. I was planning when I haul her out to soon to block up the front and rear of the keel so next spring I could get to the places I missed. Then lift the boat again and move the blocks to the center to get at the final areas of the bottom. The keel has a flat contact spot along most of the bulb. I would also have the pads raised the height of the blocks so everything should be the same except a little taller. I only have to move the boat from the crane to my yard space almost within sight of each other. Would this be okay on a 11K displacement boat? The weight will be reduced to the contact area of the blocks. I can't see any other way to do it. I can't tie up the crane for the entire process.

Jun 3, 2010
Hunter 27-3 Erie
Justin, when we transport and block our boats for the winter it is done exactly as you describe. The weight is on the keel but is transferred from one blocking setup to another. Our yard trailer has a "sailboat bar" that does the actual lifting centered on the keel, the boat is stabilized by four moveable pads on the trailer. Once the boat is moved to the designated spot in the yard, the trailer is lowered and the weight of the keel is transferred from the bar to two sets of blocking, fore and aft of the center of the keel. The sailboat bar is removed, the boat is stabilized with an appropriate number of jack stands and the trailer is removed. The boats sit like that for months during winter storage, no harm done.