Pilothouse in the PNW

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
why not a good enclosure on a 'regular' boat
I often think this is what I'd prefer. But I do feel that a pilothouse is likely to be a bit more convenient in the winter. No setting up or taking down, it's always just there when you need it. Also, in the Pacific northwest it seems like you spend a lot of time motoring in certain areas and at certain times of year, either because of rain, currents, lack of wind, or a combination. I imagine a pilothouse is a little nicer for two people when you have a long day inside.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
in our pilothouse, the helm chair at the inside station fastens to the floor. no more jacklines in a pitching cockpit with rain pouring in sideways. ... sailing in pouring rain is no longer as dreary cold , wet lonesome and scary. all my control lines lead to the cockpit , so i only have to go outside to put another reef in.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Rick:
I just checked out the Hunter 32 Vision. That is a really nice boat!
It comes in toward the low end of the range for ballast/displacement ratio. How stiff is it? After the Mac 26 my wife is keen to get something stiff!
It's been twenty years since I had her (for nine years) but she was pretty stiff. She rated about the same as a Catalina 30 and that seemed about right. She was a wonderful boat I would buy again in a heartbeat.

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
sailing in pouring rain is no longer as dreary cold , wet lonesome and scary.
That's definitely the appeal for me. They don't call this area the Wet Coast for nothing. So far I've been a summer-only sailor, but I want that to change.

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
John:
I like the style of that boat a lot. Any idea how they sail? From the specs, it reads like it might be a bit more motor-y than I'm looking for. (I think my wife would love it, though. Might have to hide it from her.)
Tedd

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
No idea. S&S has a sailboat reputation. She is a long keel so looks like she will be stable and track well. She will not be a flyer. Guess 7 plus knots. 33 feet long at the water line.
For our NW waters she looks to be a good boat.

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
I hadn't heard of S&S before but, wow, they do have quite a track record! That's definitely one that will go on my list.
Thanks,
Tedd