Picture of a Spinnaker

clnhse

Aug 6, 2018
hunter 22 Grand isle
Does anyone have a picture of a H 22 with the Spinnaker package? I would like to see how the pole is attached to the interior?

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Just a suggestion but can you clarify which H 22 you are referring to? They "recently" replaced their 216 model with a fiberglass version and called it a 22, they also had a pocket cruiser called the 22 - the pocket cruiser according to the manual doesn't refer to having a spinnaker.

clnhse

Aug 6, 2018
hunter 22 Grand isle
You are correct. This is a 2014 Marlow Hunter 22, the old 216. I struggle with help on this boat. To make matters worst the boom and mast are US Spars which is odd for some reason. Nothing matches the manuals.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I might be able to help. The asym setup of the H20 should look a lot like the J/70, which I know well. Here is the cabin of the H20, without the pole (but ready for one).

MH22_interior-H02.jpg

Now the J70. Same angle. You can see that the line use to extend the pole is attached to the aft end of the pole and runs forward to a block, and then back through the bulkhead. The pole with the USA sticker on it is the boom in storage. The line on port is the furler, ignore that.

j70pole.jpg

Outside. You can see the line coming through the bulkhead. Yes that can leak. The line is pulled to extend the pole, then cleated. When you are done with the pole, the line is uncleated, and the tackline is pulled in to retract the pole. On the 70 the tackline runs along the deck to a block at the pole end, probably on the H20 as well.

j70cockpit.jpg

EDIT - This picture dos not show the pole line coming thru the bulkhead, so it might terminate and cleat inside. Same effect, just much harder to use say while racing.

MH22_running-H02.jpg

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
CL
I can understand your frustration as I can’t find much info on the “new” H22 either. I did come across this and there are some photos of the asym flying where it’s clear the bowsprit exits the interior as Jackdaw says. I have learned that Jackdaw really know his stuff so the info he supplied can be trusted as accurate.

I have the 216 and the sprit is mounted on the cabin top so I can’t really offer much. You might contact the SBO store and see if they could send you the install direction for the kit.

https://www.marlow-hunter.com/fiber...t-and-convenience/nggallery/thumbnails/page/2

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
From the marketing material I found it looked like they launched the product with two versions. A family friendly enhanced cabin etc one and a “performance” version that has a traveller, spin setup etc.
I assume you have the nicer cabin model and want to add some zoom-zoom.

Nov 8, 2010
Ah, no pole. So you have work to do.

If the hole and support fittings are there (like in my first picture), a retractable asym pole is really three parts:
1) a sleeve that fits the existing hole
2) a longer pole who's OD is just slight smaller then the sleeve's ID. Ends capped
3) a wiper at the end of the sleeve that help keep water out.

Given access to the right bits, a keen owner could fab this out of aluminum in a day. Or even simpler, just use a shorter FIXED pole the OD size of the sleeve. Much less work.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Just thinking outside the box and I’m not sure how much they changed the cabin top to make the 22 but perhaps the spin kit for the 216 would work????

Nov 8, 2010
I really want to add the factory one in the cabin.
I’d agreed that the cabin mount coming out through the bowstem is a cleaner look. Hopefully Hunter actually made that available as a product option, and not just as a one-off prototype. Alternatively, they may have detailed technical drawings of it. They’re usually pretty good at that, although not always so much with sharing them.

Does your boat have that interior reinforcement fitting? The thing that looks like a copper colored bracket in the picture. That would be hard to fabricate.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
My thinking of using the exterior bowsprit (216 version) would be to preserve the “upscaling”of the interior. Perhaps the addition of the interior pole wouldn’t have any negative impact. I looked at one of your earlier posts and the blue coloured hull you have is a nice touch, was that from factory or did you paint? The interior pole is a nice look and would preserve the clean lines.

clnhse

Aug 6, 2018
hunter 22 Grand isle
This boat has the factory blue hull. The guy I bought it from purchased it from a broker in 2016. The original owner got it from Marlow in a land deal. It was never put in the water until 2016. The pictures I saw from when he purchased it the boat was still in the plastic wrapper.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
CL
I would really look into Jackdaw's question about the reinforcement fitting in the bow. If it's not there maybe the upscale interior model was never intended to have the pole.
BTW Nice pic of your boat sailing!!

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I need to retract my comment about the H22 Boat Info. Upon review I see that both the original H22 pocket cruiser and the remodel of the 216 are within the H22 model section. My apologies if I caused any confusion.