pics or specs on lifting strap/eye bolt plate

Jul 9, 2013
I'm looking to add the eye bolt plate to the keel bolts for hoisting the boat on/off trailer for launching at sites without ramps.

There used to be some great dialogues and pictures on the "old site" that are not on here, yet.

Does anyone have an archive of this discussion or pictures or specs of this set up?

Thanks in advance,
Jerry

Jul 9, 2013
Thanks for the specs...

Before I get one built, I will ask:

Anyone have an extra bracket and/or lift strap that they are not using?

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina Capri-22 Ottawa, Ontario
Here is a few pix of the bracket I had made for my boat a few years ago. It is based on the CP25 drawing, but used a solid bar instead of welding 2 pieces together. The recesses for the keel bolts are sized just large enough to allow the proper sized socket on my torque wrench to fit. The threaded hole for the lifting eye goes all the way through the bracket. When I install the lifting eye, there are a few flat washers and a nut on the threaded stud on the eye as the thread bottoms out on the keel before the eye is snugged up tight to the bracket. I could just cut down the length of the threaded stud, but this works fine and I just haven't gotten around to it yet (only 7 years later).

This was made of 316 stainless steel with the same dimensions as the CP25 drawing. I originally wanted my fabricator to machine down the ends of the bracket to match the CP25 drawing, but he wanted to just do recesses for the keel bolts instead because it is a lot of work machining stainless steel. This approach worked out just fine.

The shackle and lifting strap came from Acklands-Grainger and are oversized. I think the shackle was rated for 5tons and the lifting strap (in this configuration) is rated for 6000lbs.

Tom

Attachments

Jul 9, 2013
Thanks for the pictures. The bilge of your boat is very different from mine. I have standard rig fin keel with an alternating pattern of keel bolts plus a drain hose just near that aft most bolt. In fact there appears to be a 1" threaded hole in the top of the keel (where all the junk collects) that may have been a lifting point or the means for Catalina to move the keel into position.

Jerry

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina Capri-22 Ottawa, Ontario
My boat (#346) is a 1988 SRWK so it is a bit newer than yours Jerry, but not by much. I've got the alternating keel bolt pattern as well, but no hoses running into the bilge area at all. Maybe you've got a manual bilge pump located in the cockpit? I looked for the 1" threaded hole in the top of the keel when I was putting together the lifting bracket, but didn't see anything. I wouldn't lift the boat using a single lifting eye threaded into a lead keel though. Using 2 keel bolts that are embedded in the lead itself does add some redundancy. Read about the problems that J/22s have had over the years with boats dropping while using only one keel bolt to lift boats and you'll notice that the J/22 class association has recommended that boats change their lifting practices to a system similar to these.

I did find it a bit weird that the washers on the keel boats on my boat are actually covered in a layer of bilge paint that appears to have been installed at the factory before the floor pan was installed as this paint goes everywhere in the bilge under the floor. On your boat, maybe the 1" holes were used to move the keels around the yard during construction and to lift the keel up flush with the keel stub when mating it to the hull and it just wasn't filled in and painted after installation. Just speculating though.

Attachments

Jul 5, 2013
Has anyone just threaded an eye bolt onto the two aft bolts and put a strap from one to the other?

Jul 9, 2013
There would likely be too much lateral force on the eye bolts, intended for in-line pulling only. Both could fail from this sideways pressure. The plate distributes the load and gives some insurance if one should fail. But I've read that J22's with this same setup have had one bolt fail due to electrolysis (galvanic) where they put a grounding strap on the aft most bolt. This corrosion caused the one bolt to fail and then bends the other and it breaks...a one-two punch in about one second! I suspect they were using a thinner block without enough overhang beyond the keel bolts.

Speculation on my part, however.

May 16, 2012
Catalina Capri 22 IL
Bordiki said:
Has anyone just threaded an eye bolt onto the two aft bolts and put a strap from one to the other?
Most of us have an eye bolt on each of the two aft bolts. We then have a strap for each bolt that we combine for the vertical lift. No issues as to what Jerry is stating but then we are in fresh water.

Jul 9, 2013
pgudat,

Are these eyebolts the female type like nuts over the keel bolts?

And do you align them in a certain way?

Are the straps independent and identical, each holding the whole load if necessary, but sharing the load normally?

And can you still put the floorboard in or do you have to remove them?

Sorry for the many questions, but I wanna know...

Jerry

May 16, 2012
Catalina Capri 22 IL
jerrymlewis said:
Are these eyebolts the female type like nuts over the keel bolts?
I should have been more accurate. They are actually eye-nuts that screw onto the keel bolts.

jerrymlewis said:
And do you align them in a certain way?
nope. They just screw on until tight.

jerrymlewis said:
Are the straps independent and identical, each holding the whole load if necessary, but sharing the load normally?
yes. that is the intent.

jerrymlewis said:
And can you still put the floorboard in or do you have to remove them?
I remove mine generally during racing season. If we cruise for a while I'll unscrew them and put the floor board back in. Its not too much of a hassle if racing as there isn't anyone that is generally down below except to serve libations.

Jul 9, 2013
And does the inverted "V" that connects to these two eye-nuts then go up to a single ring or you have two clips to the crane's hoist connection?

How is the rest of your strapping? Do you connect to the two winches and the mast foot (boom vang clip) or use the stern scuppers for fore/aft leveling?

Do you have a picture of your rig used to interconnect between your eye-nuts and the crane?

Thanks,
Jerry

May 16, 2012
Catalina Capri 22 IL
jerrymlewis said:
And does the inverted "V" that connects to these two eye-nuts then go up to a single ring or you have two clips to the crane's hoist connection?
I have seen folks put in a single ring, I just put both loops into the hoist hook.

jerrymlewis said:
How is the rest of your strapping? Do you connect to the two winches and the mast foot (boom vang clip) or use the stern scuppers for fore/aft leveling?
I have a line that I run between the cabin top winches that keeps the boat from tipping port or starboard. Then because of the stern weight, I run two additional lines to the stern cleats. Others use the stern pulpit but I don't trust it. The scuppers would work too I guess but that seems like the wrong load distribution for them. All the lines are "set" so I can just loop them on. Once you get the balance right, it goes up the same every time.

jerrymlewis said:
Do you have a picture of your rig used to interconnect between your eye-nuts and the crane?
I do not. But if I remember, I'll snap shot of my current setup as I pull the boat out this fall.

Jul 9, 2013
Does anyone know/remember the thread size of the keel bolts for adding two EYE NUTS to the aft keel bolts? And do you then put the 'normal' keel nuts back on top of the bolts (in the 'eye')?

Here's an example of an eye NUT that is 5/8" x 10

Attachments

Jul 9, 2013
Thanks JEPomer, but that is the size I know is used for the eye BOLT that goes into the plate that straddles the two aft keel bolts.

I am asking what is the diameter and threads for the keel bolts themselves so that I can install two EYE NUTS on the existing keel bolts (after removing the nuts) and using them to lift the boat, sharing the weight between the two eye nuts. I remember them being much smaller than the 1" x 8 that is used for the eye bolt/plate combo.

Jerry

Jul 5, 2013
This is a great thread! I have always thought about using two eye bolts on the aft two keel bolts. What's your thought's on using one strap. Shackle it to each eye bolt and attach the hook in the center.

As to putting the keel nuts on over the eye nuts, I have enough threads on top of the nuts that I could just thread them on over them. That way I can take them out when the boats in the water so my sole will go back in.

Jul 9, 2013
I am planning to attach two independent straps - one to each eye nut - so they could each handle the load individually. If a single strap is run through the two eye nuts, with each end connecting to the hoist's hook and sharing the weight, I fear there may be some lateral forces between the two eye nuts which are not rated for sideways strength, only in-line. Or if you have a single strap connected to each eye nut with the strap attaching to the hoist, if one eye nut fails, the sudden drop of a foot or two could cause the other to fail from the sudden jerk - if the eye nut manages to not pass by the hoist hook.

Two equal straps, both connecting to the hoist's hook seems like the safest and redundant.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 278 Lyndeborough NH
jerrymlewis said:
Thanks JEPomer, but that is the size I know is used for the eye BOLT that goes into the plate that straddles the two aft keel bolts.

I am asking what is the diameter and threads for the keel bolts themselves so that I can install two EYE NUTS on the existing keel bolts (after removing the nuts) and using them to lift the boat, sharing the weight between the two eye nuts. I remember them being much smaller than the 1" x 8 that is used for the eye bolt/plate combo.

Jerry
Jerry,

On my boat (1988, 281) the keel bolts are 1"-8. It is possible that yours may be different.

John