Photos too large?

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
When images are uploaded to our server they are resized and scaled to a lower resolution. The mobile problem is most noticeable when you link to a large photo hosted elsewhere. We have no control over the file size but they still have to be downloaded onto the device.
So not using thumbnails isn't the main problem for slow speeds of some users, it's using a another photo hoster (Flikr for instance), that uploads at higher resolution.

Does everybody have that? :)

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Me, I go big and let the bandwidth challenged deal with it. 2 meg files? What is this, 1997??
It's not about us, Jack. :) Some posters think by uploading a photo -not a thumbnail, you're making their life difficult. It's more the free photo hosting sites used that is slowing down their devices.

We live on a fiber optics line with 1 gig upload speed but some on SBO are on dial up or weak cellular.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
I never do, and do not want to think of file sizes. Good programming should take care of that, and it usually does.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I still use Morse Code, and I still use Film. Makes me antiquated, I guess.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I would use film but the convenience of digital, the lack of available processing, and limited source of 35mm film has put my Nikon on the shelf.

I really liked that camera.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
I would use film but the convenience of digital, the lack of available processing, and limited source of 35mm film has put my Nikon on the shelf.

I really liked that camera.
Trying to find anything other than crappy 400-ASA has become impossible except online. My old Minolta has also been relegated to a shelf. Luckily all my old Minolta AF lenses still work with the Sony Alpha I picked up.

Feb 17, 2006
If you use the ISO400 film, you can compensate by using a ND4 (-2 stops) Neutral Density filter. You will be shooting with ISO100 aperture/shutter speed. This does not account for the grain size though. ND8 would be -3 stops and ND16 would be -4 stops. I carry a kit of ND filters just for that reason. I even use them on my DSLR.

Feb 17, 2006
If you use the ISO400 film, you can compensate by using a ND4 (-2 stops) Neutral Density filter. You will be shooting with ISO100 aperture/shutter speed. This does not account for the grain size though. ND8 would be -3 stops and ND16 would be -4 stops. I carry a kit of ND filters just for that reason. I even use them on my DSLR.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
The grain in 400 still stinks. I still miss Agfa 100.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
My mother dug a bag full of camera equipment out of her closet the other day and got very excited about the polaroid camera she found. She was always the family chronicler so there were lots of lenses and filters and all things 35mm in the bags.

- Will (Dragonfly)

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
If I had to give up digital photography and go back to 35mm film,...I'd give up shooting. :)

Feb 17, 2006
By the way, Canon has decided to discontinue the EOS-1V, their top of the line film camera. Plus, Fuji has also decided to discontinue their line of Black and White film.

As far as I know, Nikon is still making the F6, their top of the line film camera.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
I miss my film camera, and using film, and all that came with it. Just like I miss all my vinyl albums. Using each involved a sort of ritual, that was somehow therapeutic. I guess the boat occupies that role now, but still...

Last edited: