Photoday! "Winds 5 to 10, seas 1 foot or less",...

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
over and over. That forecast seems to sum up the sailing on Penobscot Bay this season. For me, that's as good as it gets. I love to 5 to 10! We've had more memorable sails this season than I can recollect. I was inspired to take a phone video last weekend while gently broad reaching at about 4.8 knots through some islands in Gilkey Harbor. My video work is lame, I have to do more.

We carried that broad reach for miles and sailed around this 380 foot Russian yacht, off Camden Maine. For a sense of scale, the sailboat you can see on deck - that's launched with davits - is 74 feet long.

Le Grand Bleu (1 of 1).jpg

We sailed by ELFJE in Rockport Harbor where we finally doused the sails. This one is 174 feet.

Elfje  (1 of 1).jpg
Suddenly, we have our usual influx of summer visitors on the streets and in the harbors. Here's SG's (a regular poster) lovely J boat in Rockport Harbor. He knows where to go.

These weeks are full of races and shoreside events around Penobscot Bay. Hope the weather holds! I still haven't topped my fuel tanks up from last season.
FullSizeRender 33.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
jsg... your new helms person is looking pretty happy. You may not get another chance at the helm when she is aboard.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
jsg... your new helms person is looking pretty happy. You may not get another chance at the helm when she is aboard.
She's 10 years old. I think I can clap her in irons without too much fuss. For now, anyway. :biggrin:

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Yes possibly.. But that will not last long. I have a 18 month old grand daughter and she is a handful. 10 is a good age to be introducing them to the joy of sailing.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
@TomY - Beautiful pictures. Can you tell me the purpose of the lines running from high on one dock to low on the dinghy dock in the fourth picture? Is it for more dinghies to tie to?

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
@TomY - Beautiful pictures. Can you tell me the purpose of the lines running from high on one dock to low on the dinghy dock in the fourth picture? Is it for more dinghies to tie to?
Right SFS - those are tie offs for dinghy's. Bows are tied, a few feet off, to the floating dock. A stern line - clipped to the dinghy's stern, runs to and through turning block on the solid wharf.

A weight (window sash weight) is tied to the stern line and rises and falls with our 10'+ tidal range. It keeps the bows off the docks but easy to pull in for loading.

May 6, 2010
1984 Oday 39 79 Milwaukee
Tom sets the bar so high almost anything posted after is anticlimactic, but here is a phone video of us blasting along well over hull speed under reefed main and genny last fall. Fall sailing on our Great Lake is awesome!

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
over and over. That forecast seems to sum up the sailing on Penobscot Bay this season. For me, that's as good as it gets. I love to 5 to 10! We've had more memorable sails this season than I can recollect. I was inspired to take a phone video last weekend while gently broad reaching at about 4.8 knots through some islands in Gilkey Harbor. My video work is lame, I have to do more.

We carried that broad reach for miles and sailed around this 380 foot Russian yacht, off Camden Maine. For a sense of scale, the sailboat you can see on deck - that's launched with davits - is 74 feet long.

View attachment 139504
We sailed by ELFJE in Rockport Harbor where we finally doused the sails. This one is 174 feet.

View attachment 139505 Suddenly, we have our usual influx of summer visitors on the streets and in the harbors. Here's SG's (a regular poster) lovely J boat in Rockport Harbor. He knows where to go.

These weeks are full of races and shoreside events around Penobscot Bay. Hope the weather holds! I still haven't topped my fuel tanks up from last season. View attachment 139506
That's a gorgeous J/46. Wowza.