Photoday! Where do you keep your boat?

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Take a deep breath in Rockport Harbor. There is something unique in the air.

The pungent smell of barrels of herring bait mingled with an aroma of varnish and yacht enamel, delivered on a cool North Atlantic sea breeze. That's how I would describe it.

Maybe it's an acquired sense of smell but after living here for a couple decades, I rather like it.

We're a diverse harbor of fishing boats to yachts, and everything in between.

Rockport Harbor is largely publicly owned and run. A harbor by the people, for the people.
Rockport Harbor (1 of 1).jpg

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
For six months Weather or Knot lives here in a 400 slip Marina.
IMG_1228.JPG

We have a slip at the very end of the pier which provides a significant party and relaxation platform upon return from our sweet water lake excursions, as opposed to the finger docks that most of the boaters have. We have neither fishy smells nor solvent vapors. Just the cool fresh, odorless air of Upstate NY.

The other six months this poor old girl resides here. Fishy, fecal, and solvent vapors can be had here. Not my favorite location for aesthetics...but it keeps her safe and sound.

IMG_1330.JPG

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
This is last fall getting it ready for haul out on the Black River Port Huron MI
image1.JPG

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
We also keep our boat in a slip in NY's finger lakes region (same marina as 1st reply)...but the sailing can be more fun away from home, so our boat travels. Currently in Tom Young's backyard.

Here she is waiting for the fog to lift at the Rockland town launch,while we ate lobster at the annual Rockland lobster fest.

IMG_20170809_210510.jpg

Here she is in North Haven with a house you would only see on the Maine coast in the background.

Home is fun, but keeping it other places for short periods of time can be really fun.

IMG_20170809_210757.jpg

Last edited:

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
We also keep our boat in a slip in NY's finger lakes region (same marina as 1st reply)...but the sailing can be more fun away from home, so our boat travels. Currently in Tom Young's backyard.

Here she is waiting for the fog to lift at the Rockland town launch,while we ate lobster at the annual Rockland lobster fest.

View attachment 139743

Here she is in North Haven with a house you would only see on the Maine coast in the background.

Home is fun, but keeping it other places for short periods of time can be really fun.

View attachment 139744
That's a fascinating boat. I looked up the specs. Real shoal draft that opens up areas most of us can't go. I envy you! Where are you now?

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
For six months Weather or Knot lives here in a 400 slip Marina.
View attachment 139739
We have a slip at the very end of the pier which provides a significant party and relaxation platform upon return from our sweet water lake excursions, as opposed to the finger docks that most of the boaters have. We have neither fishy smells nor solvent vapors. Just the cool fresh, odorless air of Upstate NY.

The other six months this poor old girl resides here. Fishy, fecal, and solvent vapors can be had here. Not my favorite location for aesthetics...but it keeps her safe and sound.

View attachment 139740
Docks and finger floats are pretty rare and consequently very expensive, in my sailing grounds. In fact there are no slip options in my harbor. You make me think that it gives a different experience on a regular basis. For one, you can walk to your boat (instant use), as opposed to making a dinghy trip. The last time we spent a night at a dock onboard was more than 10 years ago. That night was one of a handful here on the coast of Maine. You're lucky to have the option.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
Tehani in her slip in Port Lavaca. Picture taken from drive way next door. I can check on lines, etc any time I drive into town, without getting out of car. And I do:)

Tehani from parking lot.jpg

Todd D

Jul 4, 2012
Allied Princess Southwest Harbor
Seaquestor hangs on her mooring about 150 yards east of the Great Harbor Marina in Southwest Harbor, Maine. My 1936 powerboat Tortuga stays at the Great Harbor Marina.
Tortuga

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
This spring my dock was the closest to the camera (and there was a riser on it!). Now I can walk out, but it's a tall step.
Lake Ontario is finally receding.
Cheers

Attachments

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Private dock off of the ICW in Pompano Beach FL. Docklord has a 1983 Catalina 36, and we have been helping each other with our restorations.
After Mathew 1500.png

2016-12-24 13.36.34.jpg

Both of us cross tied out for Huricane Mathew. Having help was essential in getting this done for the both of us. Cross tieing is not permitted until 24 hours before landfall so that anyone further back in the canal that wants to haul out has the opportunity. Once everyone cross ties, the canal is essentially blocked.
2016-10-08 03.38.01.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston

View attachment 139743

View attachment 139744
I love the look of the Seawards.... great photo.