Photoday!! They all come to an end.

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina 25 Sea Star Base Galveston, TX
That's amazing! I love the details put into all those classic designs; its my dream to own one!

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
That's amazing! I love the details put into all those classic designs; its my dream to own one!
That is a stunning schooner, and a very nimble sailer. I watched it sail, into and out of a very tricky (and rocky) backwater, and on and off it's anchor, in light air, never using it's engine. The schooner's split rig makes sail handling a breeze, even pulling the anchor under sail.

The boat surprisingly is just 36' on deck. And it is for sale, Simon!

Schooner Seal Bay approaching 2 (1 of 1).jpg

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
That is a stunning schooner, and a very nimble sailer. I watched it sail, into and out of a very tricky (and rocky) backwater, and on and off it's anchor, in light air, never using it's engine. The schooner's split rig makes sail handling a breeze, even pulling the anchor under sail.

View attachment 149107
@Simon Sexton , you need that boat. If you want to buy her, I would be happy to offer my services as delivery captain or crew. Just tell me where to. I'm sure the Gulf coast of Texas is easier to reach from Maine by heading East and coming in through the Panama Canal. Easy Breezy!:thumbup:

-Will (Dragonfly)

Nov 1, 2017
@Simon Sexton , you need that boat. If you want to buy her, I would be happy to offer my services as delivery captain or crew. Just tell me where to. I'm sure the Gulf coast of Texas is easier to reach from Maine by heading East and coming in through the Panama Canal. Easy Breezy!:thumbup:

-Will (Dragonfly)
I seriously would if I weren't 18 and working as a part-time Pizza delivery driver and underpaid sailing instructor ;) but maybe one day! I'll let ya know, haha! I currently own an AMF Sunfish and Catalina 25, but they just don't give you that incomparable classic boat feel.

Nov 1, 2017

View attachment 149107
Oh my goodness...how much do they want for that beauty, though? Definitely outta my price range!

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Simon, I mean buy it when you're older. Let the new owner take good care of it for you,... for a couple decades.

Will, they had just sailed off their anchor, in this photo:
Schooner Seal Bay - under sail (1 of 1).jpg

Went by our boat, gently on the light wind, then tacked their way out,....
Schooner Seal Bay passing (1 of 1).jpg

this narrow, rock strewn channel:
Sailing out of Seal Bay is a formidable task. .jpg

All of us in newer, faster sail boats, motored out. :)
Actually, that's not true.

This schooner is newer than my boat(but the design is older), It's often repeated(online especially), that schooners don't sail that well.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
It's often repeated(online especially), that schooners don't sail that well.
Schooners sail great. If you're trying to convince me they do, you are preaching to the choir.
Of course my schooner experience is on a much newer design, but I understand the dynamics pretty well.

Besides, sailing isn't about the efficiency converting of power to motion. It is about the economics of esthetics.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Yes Captain, I'd be happy to.

Economics is about the process of sustained living in a group or groups who act with interdependence as part of this process (the price or work required for life in an ecosystem); jobs, hunting/gathering, trade, etc. It is used here, in reference to the cost and benefits of living with beauty and grace instead of living for speed or efficient travel.
Sailing is a choice to adopt a certain lifestyle for the purpose of joy in sailing. Cars, planes, powerboat all have their place and even offer joy on their own, but sailing has little to offer outside the aesthetics of sailing or the satisfaction that one is living with less ecological impact than a powerboat.
In other words, those who choose to sail use a different metric to weigh its value in their lives than those who choose another pastime based on efficiency of transportation, ease of operation or status within their community.

Thanks for asking. I hope I didn't bore you with my pontificating. ;)

- Will (Dragonfly)

Tod

Dec 30, 2010
Montgomery 17 trailered
Congratulations on your photo of Christmas on the cover of Good Old Boat, Tom. As soon as I saw it I suspected which boat and photographer!

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Congratulations on your photo of Christmas on the cover of Good Old Boat, Tom. As soon as I saw it I suspected which boat and photographer!
Thanks, Tod! The Good Old Boat folks are great to work with.

I'm on a mission to have these transitional boats understood. Many(most?) people think my boat is a wooden boat. Often, after years of knowing the boat, suddenly surprised at the realization, they say, "I didn't know that was a fiberglass boat!".

And so it is at GOB. They don't put wooden boats on the cover. I had to correspond with the editors to assure them, that this is a fiberglass hull and deck,...sailboat. They pointed out this fact inside the cover, to avoid letters to the contrary.

Stuck between wooden boat only fans, and fiberglass non-believers, it can be lonely owning one of these odd boats.

Tod

Dec 30, 2010
Montgomery 17 trailered
Wow, I had no idea there was such a controversy over the construction!