Photoday!! How many miles of painters tape is pulled off in boatyards this week?

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Or better still, if it were all wrapped up in one ball, how big would it be?

In my yard, every boat has some blue or green tape on it. I even noticed several boats launching had tape still on them. This owner is prepping to roll and tip the topsides of his Dolphin 24(today-weather is right).

The catboat next to him has 4 runs of blue tape for varnish. The tri on the other side is getting taped to paint.
Josh Dolphin 24.jpg

We're having the typical spring weather on the coast of Maine: One hot day bracketed by several cold wet days-repeat.

I wouldn't trade 3 October sailing days for one May day. May ocean temps are cold.

We're getting 'on' the water though. We had our first 'Harborcue' on Rockport Harbor with friends and family. Wearing parka's, sweaters plus a roaring fire next to the picnic table, we steamed a dozen lobsters fresh off a local boat that day.

Add a few bottles of Prosecco, a hurricane lamp and you're boat in the background, the sailing season has started for me.

Harborque 2.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Awesome "Horborque" picture. I love the term. Maine coastal sailing on the cold water meeting that warm continental air makes for interesting navigation.
I just finished repainting a house we just bought for AirBnB renting and the amount of blue tape was not just excessive, but not that good an idea. I do a much better job cutting in without it. A good brush and care saves time and is cleaner with less waste. The tape actually wicks the paint under it, where the edge isn't pressed down or the surface is too rough.
Maybe your marina could collect all that blue tape into a ball and put it on a post for tourist to come see the largest tape-ball in the state/NE/country/hemisphere/World.:yeah:

-Will (Dragonfly)

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
I peeled off about 50 feet of tape on the weekend. That's a good sign, it means I'm ready to go in the water and I just confirmed my launch time for this Tuesday.
I was out yesterday on another boat and there was not much wind. Tom, I've heard you refer to this as "ghosting", and that's what I call it now.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
estimating 10,000 of these were rolled together,...how big a ball would we have?
It looks like that ball is almost 2 planks wide. Guessing 1 plank to be about 7" wide, that gives a cubic volume formula (V = 4/3πr³) of: V = 4/3 (3.14159) 7x7x7 : where the diameter is 2 x 7. Therefore, the diameter of a ball of tape 10,000 times the volume would translate to: 10,000V = 4/3 (3.14159) 10,000x7x7x7 = 4/3 (3.14159) 10,000 x 7^3 -> dia2 = 2 x 10,000^(1/3) x 7 = 2 x 21.54435 x 7 = 301.6209 inches in diameter or almost 25'2".

- Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
I would think that trailer belongs to a marina, very cool though, must be a bit tricky transferring from the stands to the trailer though.

Feb 28, 2013
Pacific Seacraft 40 Belfast
Hey Nat, where did the boat go after launching? Do you have a mooring in the harbor here? Gorgeous Girl is in a slip at Front Street's D Dock. Stop by for a chat if I'm there. If not, I'll be at the house on Bayview, #55.

Chris

nat55

Feb 11, 2017
Gulfstar 1979 Gulfstar 37 BELFAST
Hey Chris, Maia is on a mooring in Belfast. If you drew a line almost due east from your house you would see her. Currently sans mast, hoping to get it stepped either today or Friday. I saw GG @ FSS last weekend when we were out walking......looking good.

Jan 27, 2016
Ranger 29 Bayside, Maine
Banshee was launched in Belfast on Tuesday, here she sits, (on the left, off Young's Lobster Pound), boomless and waiting for me to come up from Conn. to finish the rigging as sail her down to Bayside. Hopefully tomorrow.
BansheeBoomlessinBelfast.jpg

T Dunn

May 23, 2018
Allied Princess Southwest Harbor
I used 360 yards of blue tape this Spring. I just pulled the last tape today. That was for two boats though. Tortuga takes a lot of tape. Just masking around the windows takes almost a full roll. Seaquestor went in on My 15 and Tortuga goes in tomorrow. I had a great sail yesterday in near perfect conditions.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
My waterline is 240 feet. 2.4 football fields every time I paint the bottom. 3x 40 foot hulls, each with 2 sides.