Photoday!! Farm to galley: Sailing and good food, what do you like?

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
We like to sail to Turner Farm off North Haven Island now and then, to pick up something fresh, really fresh, for dinner.

An organic farm with state of the art systems (multiple green houses), Turner Farm even supplies islanders with fresh vegetables, all winter long. Some of their crops, such as delicious heirloom tomatoes, go to the mainland as well.

We picked up: An assortment of fresh, just picked, greens and a pint of juicy, ripe cherry tomatoes. A light dressing of our favorite olive oil and balsamic vinegar(always onboard) and freshly ground pepper corns and sea salt.

For the grill:

Just picked, juicy, sweet onions, cut lengthwise and brushed with olive oil.
Fresh from the ground yellow fingerling potatoes, brushed with olive oil.
Their own homemade sweet pork sausage, lean and artfully seasoned with their herbs and spices. Fresh, easy, simple and delicious.

Not another boat for miles, we spent the night on anchor off their long pebble beach.

Turner Farm 2018 crop.jpg

Jan 27, 2016
Ranger 29 Bayside, Maine
Three years ago Reilly Harvey catered a dinner for our cruise from her boat. She is out of Andrews Island and this was at Dix Harbor. She came in her launch, with fresh lobster, steamers, corn, salads, biscuits and blueberry pies, all picked or gleaned locally and cooked in right in front of us. Delicious and entertaining. Unfortunately she took a mainland job cooking somewhere in Rockland that fall.

Reillyh_Photo.jpg

ReillyHboard.jpg

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Oh man..... I'm getting hungry.

Time to leave the office for lunch....

Later!

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Three years ago Reilly Harvey catered a dinner for our cruise from her boat. She is out of Andrews Island and this was at Dix Harbor. She came in her launch, with fresh lobster, steamers, corn, salads, biscuits and blueberry pies, all picked or gleaned locally and cooked in right in front of us. Delicious and entertaining. Unfortunately she took a mainland job cooking somewhere in Rockland that fall.

View attachment 153855
View attachment 153856
Seriously, if I saw that pulling up to my boat, I'd think it was a siren coming to steal my soul. A beautiful woman with great food, in a gorgeous BOAT.... I'm serious, that does not look like a real thing.

Jan 10, 2012
Nordic 40 Harpswell
Lynnie came up with “Passage Pasta” when we were crossing the Med many years ago. For the most part the ingredients don’t need to be refrigerated so it’s a good ‘boat meal’ when you can’t get to the local farm (and it’s great to hear Turner Farms is still going strong). It’s always popular when we share it with friends.

Pasta
Sun dried tomatoes
Basil
Garlic
Black olives
Artichoke hearts
Feta (or Parmesan)

Reconstitute dried tomatoes, drain, then add olive oil, garlic, basil, S&P. Cook pasta, then toss in the remaining ingredients.

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
Seriously, if I saw that pulling up to my boat, I'd think it was a siren coming to steal my soul. A beautiful woman with great food, in a gorgeous BOAT.... I'm serious, that does not look like a real thing.
We have yet to task others for our food or grilled dinners on board. I love this Siren and I assure you our veggies are 100% organic.

8DA6AE8A-033E-4FAC-BF63-D8C86861654A.jpeg

danm1

Oct 5, 2013
Hunter 356 Mamaroneck, NY
Ready for dinner a year ago off Saint-Vaast-la-Hougue after the guy on the left picked up his new Allures 45.9 and the guy on the right (me) picked up some local wine. Sometimes, everything is just perfect.2017-07-02 19.04.07.jpg

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
2 week FL trip 2011 123.jpg
The Chef and Admiral making breakfast for the hardworking crew.
2 week FL trip 2011 124.jpg
mmm. Pancakes and Sausage. The camp stove was a temporary item while we were replacing the pressurized alcohol stove.
2 week FL trip 2011 125.jpg
Breakfast is served!!
2 week FL trip 2011 007.jpg
The Captain hard at work.