Photo Day

Jan 27, 2016
Ranger 29 Bayside, Maine
Sort of a boat -
Paddler by Barnard 2017-10-10.jpg
me on my Paddle board Columbus Day morning in Northport (ME) off Kelly Cove. If you know the area, the mussel farm is in the background.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
5:13 am. I was waiting on the Shivers Island for the sun to rise to take some photos of where we were anchored. These lobster boats were rushing to their traps in Jericho Bay.

View from the Shivers 5-13am (1 of 1).jpg

Jan 27, 2016
Ranger 29 Bayside, Maine
Tom, I can't find Shivers island and never heard of it - secret spot?

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Tom, I can't find Shivers island and never heard of it - secret spot?
Hi Jim, no secret but not everybody's cup of tea. It's off Devil Island in the Merchant Islands. I left a pin where I dropped my anchor for the night.

Shivers Island anchorage.PNG

The anchorage nearly closes up at low tide and you can walk nearly the entire rim of the tea cup.

Shivers Island is the small island to the North of my pin. It's owned by one of the conservancy's and there is a tiny (room for a small tent) campsite right in the middle.

Here we are anchored inside at LW with Shivers Island off our stern. At high water, the anchorage feels wide open and it is a little exposed.
Anchorage?3 (1 of 1).jpg

Jan 27, 2016
Ranger 29 Bayside, Maine
OK, that makes sense, I knew of that anchorage, haven't tried it yet, was at Coombs last month, that was nice, quiet water and no wakes in the AM. Do the lobster boat wakes make it in there?

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
OK, that makes sense, I knew of that anchorage, haven't tried it yet, was at Coombs last month, that was nice, quiet water and no wakes in the AM. Do the lobster boat wakes make it in there?
They do, at high tide. But at low tide, it's a frog pond.
Anchorage? (1 of 1).jpg