Photo Day - Light Air Sailing

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
I had a nice sail last night. It was supposed to be a race but the wind was not cooperating so it turned into an evening cruise with a nice sunset. The power boat just to the right of the sun is picking up the marks just before we got there.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Nice photo!

We just returned from a couple weeks of lights winds rarely blowing over 10 knots. That's about perfect for coastal sailing in my book. I never thought about a reef (until the end), and rarely even set our anchor at night (I hate to admit that,...), as the conditions and forecasts were so benign.

We had many nice sails like this one from Frenchboro to North East Harbor. We sailed off our mooring in Frenchboro in the morning and could have sailed right into North East Harbor, if we so dared.

About when I took this, we had just sailed a narrow thread between the Green Islands just off Black Island. Not as light as D'Arcy's but we had that in the mix of the 10 mile sail. There was a slight fog in our wake.
Green Islands (1 of 1).jpg

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Nice. Thanks for posting this. We often get in too big a hurry and don't use those really light winds.
Ken

Oct 3, 2014
Marlow-Hunter MH37 Lake City, MN
Some of my favorite times in our boat are the light air sunset sails. Everyone can relax, enjoy the the view, and feel the elegance of gentle motion through the water.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
These are also known as "swimming opportunities".
P1050485.jpg

After our swim yesterday it picked up to a very pleasant sailing afternoon/evening. we love summer ;)