PH II rebuild

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
I rebuilt the whole pump assy and new joker valve. When I pump in the dry mode, water does not leave the bowl as it comes back up on the upstroke. Actually the same in the wet mode to. If I am more forceful on the down stroke, water will leave and not come back up. Also with the more forceful down stroke, something seems to be slightly catching and releasing...Things worked before the rebuild except some backflow due to the joker valve. Anybody have any insight?

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Several possibilities come to mind, but the shortest route to the right one is, call Mac McCoy in Raritan's Ft. Lauderdale plant. He's become my go-to guy since Vic Willman retired. 954-525-0378

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Talked to Mac today..Disqualified tank vent as we've been using it and can hear air through vent when pumped. The flapper valve needs to be installed corrextly and I'm sure it is as I followed the exploded parts diagram very carefully. About the only thing left is a partial clog in the discharge hose and this also happens going to the tank and also going overboard. So I'm thinking stuff fell backwards between the joker valve and fitting wall during the joker valve exchange. The old Joker valve was pretty crusty...

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Update: the joker valve was clean...called Mac again to discuss. We discussed length of hoses (short), obstructions, etc. Did not see this issue before I rebuilt it. Happens going into the tank and going overboard. So, as a last ditch effort, I pulled the four bolts and pulled the pump up to check the flapper valve and it was installed correctly. Scratching my head, I slid the flapper out and immediatly saw the problem...on a one month old valve, the seat for the flapper was all wilted and distorted. You can't over torque these bolts as there plastic spacers inserted in the holes. When its tight, you're done. My favorite guy at WM, where i bought the kit, opened another kit and gave me a flapper. If I hadn't slid the flapper out in exasperation, I'd still be head scratching. Now working...

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
You can't over torque these bolts as there plastic spacers inserted in the holes.
Well, yes you can, and you shouldn't. DAMHIKT, but I recently replaced a pump body that was cracked at the base. :wink3: