Perplexed

Feb 28, 2006
Hunter 34 610 Narragansett Bay
Hunter 34 owners,

Racing my 1984 34 here in Rhode Island for years now and also crew on a J-24 in Newport. My 34 PHRF-NB is 176 and we're sometimes beaten by higher PHRF boats. We have a new set of sails (142 genoa/main), rolling furler, adjustable genoa cars, new traveler and clean boat bottom frequently. Lot of sailing experience/knowledge among the crew but sometimes other boats just pass us, stay even with us and or pull away like we're dragging a lobster pot or something...we weren't (-: We believe we tuned the rig correctly having read all the B&R forums, etc. I know that every once in awhile a race will not go the way you want but having slower boats pass you or stay with you is frustrating. Adding folding prop would only result in a lower PHRF. Any other ideas on why we aren't looking back at our competition all the time?

Thank you,
Randy
Mental Floss
Narragansett Bay, RI

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Two things.

First, while you only get a 3, 6 or 9 second credit for a fixed prop, it is well known that that is the ABSOLUTE MINIMUM loss for the prop. In light airs the different is often over 30 seconds a mile. If you are at all serious about racing, you have to have a folder.

Second, the definition of a good race boat is a boat that sails to its rating in the widest range of conditions and courses. A j/24 is a good example of that. Your H34 is not. Like most cruisers it's going to have good days and bad days. Part of the joys of racing in a cruiser.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I know that every once in awhile a race will not go the way you want but having slower boats pass you or stay with you is frustrating.
I've suffered the same frustration many times in my Bavaria 38E, a cruising yacht; although it was sold with an optional "sport package", which included a spinnaker and a fully-battened mainsail, but not the folding prop. It is not, nor ever has been, truly optimized for competitive racing which includes, among other things, at least monthly bottom service, removal of heavy junk aboard, "newish" sails of correct size and cut not more than, say, three seasons old, a folding prop, AND a highly practiced and skilled crew that has raced together for at least one season, IMHO. Light air destroys ("heavy") cruising yachts in PHRF competition. Your best chances lie when conditions are up and the wind is up, where the lighter boats, lacking heft, often cannot drive as efficiently on the upwind legs. Even then it's still hard to win (i.e., trophy), especially if most of the course is downwind, as in point-to-point races.

Last edited:

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
I have known 34's of your vintage that did well consistently in SoCal PHRF. But, I found on my 40.5 that a folding prop transformed the boat in light air and way helped the pointing in all conditions. Good luck!

Jun 27, 2004
Hunter 34 New Bern, NC
I have a lot of experience racing an H34 with a shoal draft keel. I am surprised that your PHRF rating is so high. My PHRF rating is only 150 here in NC. The boat can be quite successful in light to medium air. It does depend a bit on the other boats in the race. An H34 is not competitive against true race boats. If you sail against other racer cruisers, however, you should be able to do well in light to medium air. The reason you can do well is the size of the sailplan. I have always raced with a 155 Genoa when I can carry it. Your rating assumes that you can use the sail plan. The folding prop is a necessity because your key advantage is in light air, where it is really needed. The folder is also great when cruising because it will allow you to sail in lighter air. I have a 16x10 slipstream geared folding prop, and it seems to be right for the boat. The folder is great because it is always on duty and takes no skill to use. I believe that the boat has less weather helm due to the folder.