Perkins MT-80 Transmission Question - Beneteau 440 (1995)

Sep 4, 2018
Beneteau Oceanis 440 Huntington
Hi All,

Late last season shifting between forward and reverse became challenging. The shifting was very difficult. At first I thought the issue was the salt water dripping from the impeller housing (now replaced) onto the throttle and gear cables. The yard checked the cables and they are running smooth once disconnected from the arm on the engine that switches the gears on the engine from forward to reverse. The yard said it could simply be the bushings behind the arm or a more serious problem with the transmission. Has anyone experienced a similar issue and have a fix? Thanks for your help and guidance.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
It might be worth trying to shift by moving the arm manually when the cable is disconnected. Even if the cables move smoothly when they are disconnected it's possible that they start to bind when under tension.

Also, is it difficult to shift only when the engine is running, or also when it's off?

Sep 4, 2018
It might be worth trying to shift by moving the arm manually when the cable is disconnected. Even if the cables move smoothly when they are disconnected it's possible that they start to bind when under tension.

Also, is it difficult to shift only when the engine is running, or also when it's off?

Sep 4, 2018
So the Transmission is bad. Needs a full replacement. The surveyor wrote the ATF was old and should be replaced at the end of the season, not sure how he missed this...The mechanic who diagnosed the transmission said that this result takes years of neglect. I've only had the boat for 8 months....this is an expensive lesson and will change ATF at the end of every season!

Attachments

Nov 10, 2012
S2 9.2 ST IGNAGE, MI
That looks like water has gotten in the oil. If the trans oil is cooled with water check the heat exchanger for leaks. A radiator shop can test it for you.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
I change trans fluid every year when I am doing oil....... easy already there and why not. First boat had similar situation as you..... p/o never changed fliud....... 12 years.

Good luck!

Greg