perkins 4108 alternator upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wes justice

I just took the old 80amp ac delco alternator off my 4108 and want to upgrade to an marine grade alternator without having to spend more than $300 does anyone have any ideas on my options.

Jun 13, 2005
Irwin Barefoot 37 CC Sloop Port Orchard WA
Well Wes, no one else is jumping in here so I'll talk with you

I no longer have the Perkins on my 37. It was changed out for a Yanmar HM 35F before I got the boat. The Yanmar came with an optional 50 amp alternator which I changed out for an Ample Power 124 amp alternator. Ample Power sold direct to me when I bought it but their products are now sold through Power Tap, which is their distribution company. I have an all Ample Power System, with the Alternator, the Next Step Regulator, The Isolator Illiminator, and the Energy Monitoring System and couldn't be happier with it. I put it in in 1994 and had the boat in Mexico for 6 years and have never had a problem. They can be located at. http://www.pwrtap.com They sell larger alternators but recommended I not put one in because this was the largest small frame alternator my engine would support. A larger one would require too large a side load on my water pump bearings, and cause the water pump to fail. The water pump is an idler on the same belt with the alternator. As it was the belt originally slipped and spewed rubber particles all over my engine compartment. I had double pulleys made and eventually added a second belt and everything works just fine. There are lots of marine Alternator shops in the Seattle area where I am. A couple with toll free numbers are: Hendricks Electric 1-800-426-4888, Ballard Electric 1-800-783-3526, and two more with a toll free number is Shipboard Electrical Systems 800-579-0655, and Romaine Electric at 1-800-426-5005. Motors and Controls Corporation has a website at http://www.mypid.com/motors-controls There are lots more but those have toll free access. Good Luck Joe S

Status
Not open for further replies.