PERKINS 4107 RAW WATER PUMP

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Yes.. but that is after we beat in to the wind for 12 miles... Then the wind dropped from 14 to 3 knots. So the Iron Ginny was called upon.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
John, your right angle screw driver should be able to unscrew the screws. The important thing is the slot has to be clean. No caked on stuff. Scratch the slots out with a dental pick and use the right bit..HF sells “dental picks”..

Oct 22, 2014
Well great news. Cheers all around. :beer:
I got, with all your guys helpful ideas. The cover off, (thank you PB blaster), the cover plate was cleaned, the impeller out (the succor was a bit stubborn bugger. I had to lay on top of the engine so I could get access on the partially extracted impeller.), New 12 blade Impeller inserted (Thanks for the soap idea. It worked slick as a whistle.), and all assembled. The engine start and the raw water discharge was anticlimactic. All is good, for now, with the venerable Perkins 4.107. I think I will need to give the engine a proper name.

Suggestions welcome. Name that engine.

I’ve spent 7 enjoyable days, some working some playing, on the boat. Now it is time to clean up and head back home to take care of the cats so the Admiral can go to her Best in the West Quilt Show.

Oct 22, 2014
Old Blue.. is too mundane. Engines do present a personality at times. This one has a lot of space around it but was put in backwards. The engineers conveniently located the serviceable parts on all 4 sides of the engine as if it was designed by 4 separate guys from the 4 corners of the planet. Then the boat builder, being a bit of a minimalist stuck bulk heads on both ends in places to stringent the boat but to make servicing the motor impossible. Perhaps he thought “It’s a sailboat the owner will never need that stink pot motor but will put it in there and jack up the price of the boat. Then when he tries to use it and it stops running we’ll sell him parts for it that he can never install at absorbent prices. It is just the thing that keeps on giving. Maybe we can all retire and go sailing.”
Perhaps a picture of the beastie... Granted I caught her bad side, it’s early here, and she is just getting up.
28955DCD-9491-4291-BA61-AF28B9E572A3.jpeg

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Old Blue.. is too mundane.
Well, there is the mundane family friendly "Old Blue" because the engine is blue. Or the less family friendly version of Old Blue is the color of the air as a result of your language while working on it. :mad:

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Don't do it!:badbad::badbad::badbad:Jim...
Just out of curiosity, why not? On our Onan, it is much quicker and the change is done w/o any chance of error (like screwing up the cover gasket) by removing the whole pump to change the impeller. Even though it means removing the stop solenoid, its mounting bracket, and the dip stick, it is preferable to working by feel in an awfully confined space.
As a matter of fact, we have just ordered a second pump so we can just do a quick change out, and change the bad impeller in that pump at a more convenient time.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
On the Perkins, it is gear driven and has pressed bearings. You open up you engine lube system too.
If you want to change the gear drive and bearing, go for it.

we have just ordered a second pump so we can just do a quick change out
:plus::plus:
Then you only fool with one gasket at a time.;)

_____
I had to change my flex impeller, once while NOT in berth. In my case, easy access.:)
Jim...

capta

Jun 4, 2009
On the Perkins, it is gear driven and has pressed bearings. You open up you engine lube system too.
The Onan is also gear driven and the pump gasket seals the opening. Perhaps what you mean to say is that the pump is below the full oil level on the Perkins, while it is not on the Onan, as that is the only reason I can think of not to remove the pump for an impeller change?

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
only reason I can think of not to remove the pump for an impeller change?
Well you are much more experienced at that, than me.
_____
I prefer not to open my engine, except oil changes.;)
Jim...

Oct 22, 2014
On my engine the pump is above the oil pan. It is just as easy, now that I figured a way out how to do the task, to remove the cover and pull the impeller. It was just first time jitters and a “Lets not make more work then we are prepared to solve” issue. Once I bought a mechanics mat to place on the engine, I could lay down on top of the engine and use both hands to work on th impeller. The first attempt was from the side and no leverage or space to do the needed work.
I did feel like I was in a submarine or an airplane with just enough space to fit a body and none to turn around. Thankfully I am not claustrophobic.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
On my engine the pump is above the oil pan. It is just as easy, now that I figured a way out how to do the task, to remove the cover and pull the impeller. It was just first time jitters and a “Lets not make more work then we are prepared to solve” issue. Once I bought a mechanics mat to place on the engine, I could lay down on top of the engine and use both hands to work on th impeller. The first attempt was from the side and no leverage or space to do the needed work.
I did feel like I was in a submarine or an airplane with just enough space to fit a body and none to turn around. Thankfully I am not claustrophobic.
Of course, that is the best way, if possible. I was just offering an option if it couldn't be done that way. It certainly seems as though many boat and equipment designers are sadists, not engineering their products for easy access for maintenance.

Oct 22, 2014
It certainly seems as though many boat and equipment designers are sadists, not engineering their products for easy access for maintenance.
I would certainly agree with that statement. Especially as I continue the process of refurbishing/upgrading my engine. Good to know that I now have a year to unlearn what was learnt in the past 48 hours.