Registered users don't see ads

Perkins 4-108 rear engine seal...

Discussion in 'Engines and Propulsion' started by nat55, Nov 7, 2017. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. nat55

nat55

Joined Feb 11, 2017
    25 posts, 7 likes
    Gulfstar 1979 Gulfstar 37
    Un Belfast Maine BELFAST
    So, I have removed the transmission Velvet Drive 71C replacing the fwd seal. My mechanic suggests that I replace the main rear seal on the engine as well. The quoted time for this job is 16 hrs., does 2 days seem like a reasonable time estimate. I've been loosing oil from the transmission for a bit and the attached pic shows why! The front seal is buggered.....

Attached Files:

2. Michael Davis

Michael Davis

Joined Jan 5, 2017
    210 posts, 40 likes
    Beneteau First 38
    Ca Saturna Island B.C. Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
    While it's apart that may be a good idea. Looking at the service manual for my 4-108 it doesn't look like a 16 hour job. Looks pretty easy to do yourself.

3. nat55

nat55

Joined Feb 11, 2017
    25 posts, 7 likes
    Un Belfast Maine BELFAST
    Thanks Michael, I have another quote for 3 hours! I would do the work but my body just doesn't bend in the right places any longer. I've spent countless hours under the cockpit doing maintenance and replacing things. The guy that is rebuilding the transmission got it off in under an hour, it took me almost 4 hours the last time I did it! Granted, I got the hard part done of supporting the engine as the rear mounts are part of the transmission and the engine needs to be supported. I've ordered the seal from Foley engine as they seem to have a better seal than the "stock" replacement. I was reluctant to use Foley as I had heard some not very good reports of their service, my experience was very different, in fact they were very helpful and quite pleasant.

4. Michael Davis

Michael Davis

Joined Jan 5, 2017
    210 posts, 40 likes
    Beneteau First 38
    Ca Saturna Island B.C. Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
    That sounds more reasonable. Glad you found someone to do it. It's hell getting older and less nimble, isn't it?

5. nat55

nat55

Joined Feb 11, 2017
    25 posts, 7 likes
    Un Belfast Maine BELFAST
    :)

NEW, updated Get Rid of Boat Odors
The bible of marine toilets and plumbing, expanded and updated for 2016!
Stainless documentation placard
Who said a documentation placard cant be beautiful? Brushed stainless with laser-fused numerals.
Gray Enterprises port gasket
Stop winter leaks. Compare our price!
Too hot? INSTANT BIMINI ESTIMATES
Low prices, custom fit, no-wait estimates