Perfect garbage can for H31

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
I seem to remember reading about serious issues finding replacement garbage cans on older Catalinas, so I'm posting this in case it helps an H31 owner.

I don't know the original purpose of "the hole" that is just forward of the stove, but we found a perfectly sized Rubbermaid 3.5 gallon can at Walmart. Picked it up today:

IMG_20180321_195804295.jpg
IMG_20180321_195744933.jpg

The original cover for the hole was beyond repair, so I cut and re-radiused a cutting board to fit. Now we don't have to find a place to store the cutting board!

Attachments

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Thanks.. The 34 has that same hole .. I still have the original can but it is getting old.. We store plastic shopping bags (can liners) and paper towel rolls in the space around the can..

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
This can is not very deep, so you still have room below. It's a perfect size for the free liners that are everywhere today (aka plastic grocery bags).

Manly

Jan 3, 2018
Hunter 31 St. Petersburg
@SFS , thanks for sharing. That's a really good idea. We'll have to pick one of those up and try it out. Right now we do have that cupboard full of kitchen things, but we could move them. We also generally have something on top of that cupboard (right now it is the crockpot, but earlier it was our coffee maker). However, I think it's still worth a try!

Here is a picture of our current trash situation. It is crude, but has worked well since we moved aboard. My wife doesn't really like it there though...
H31 Trash.JPG

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2014
Marlow-Hunter MH37 Lake City, MN
That's exactly what we use on our H33.5. I recently bought another one as the old one started cracking.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Having a garbage container is a mixed blessing. Small means frequent removal. A good thing. Large able to handle several days of stuff means smells and opportunities for critters. A bad thing.
It’s the Goldilocks goal. Just right.

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
On my H31 I use a five gallon bucket with a kitchen bag liner under the dinette table tied with a short line on the leg for trash. It can also double as a bailer. I use the built in garbage can for galley stuff.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
I like that idea Mike, but as you may recall, I don't have the permanent table you do, because I don't have the u-shaped dinette. There have been a few days lately that I would have traded. When we fold our table down, the person on the port settee is too far from the table.

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
I like that idea Mike, but as you may recall, I don't have the permanent table you do, because I don't have the u-shaped dinette. There have been a few days lately that I would have traded. When we fold our table down, the person on the port settee is too far from the table.
Ray, I am green with envy at your latest venture. Keep posting about your adventure and I will live vicariously through you!

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
My H31 had this can already in place when we got it
This can is not very deep, so you still have room below. It's a perfect size for the free liners that are everywhere today (aka plastic grocery bags).
This is what we use this small can for as well. I also store all of my extra rolls of paper towels in the cabinet space left under this small can.

On my H31 I use a five gallon bucket with a kitchen bag liner under the dinette table tied with a short line on the leg for trash. It can also double as a bailer. I use the built in garbage can for galley stuff.
Having a garbage container is a mixed blessing. Small means frequent removal. A good thing. Large able to handle several days of stuff means smells and opportunities for critters. A bad thing.
It’s the Goldilocks goal. Just right.
For our actual trash, I put a bigger kitchen sized can with a tilt/flip lid under the nav station secured with a length of bungee cord to keep it from tipping over. It seems to fill up with empty bottles cans and paper plates during every sail. I store the extra kitchen bags in the bottom of that can so that when I empty it, I can instantly grab a new liner.

Last edited:

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
...For our actual trash, I put a bigger kitchen sized can with a tilt/flip lid under the nav station secured with a length of bungee cord to keep it from tipping over.
I don't have any space left under the nav station. There are two 6.5 gallon Jerry cans of water there, plus two more 1-gallon jugs behind those. We do all our chart work on the dining table, which is how I know that the port settee is too far from the table.

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
I don't have any space left under the nav station.
I have no space under my nav table as the PO added some framing and plywood to it and it is where my two house batteries live. You can see it under the nave table on the right of this picture. So I do charts on the dining table too.

Attachments

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
I don't have any space left under the nav station. There are two 6.5 gallon Jerry cans of water there, plus two more 1-gallon jugs behind those. We do all our chart work on the dining table, which is how I know that the port settee is too far from the table.
I have no space under my nav table as the PO added some framing and plywood to it and it is where my two house batteries live. You can see it under the nave table on the right of this picture. So I do charts on the dining table too.
I don't have a great picture, but you can see it on the bottom right of this photo.
2016-06-03 20.30.46.jpg