Peggy - Using Canola Oil in Marine Toilet?

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
.....and claims of "biodegradable" are irrelevant and silly, since that takes at least weeks and it will only be in the pipe minutes to hours.
In theory. In reality each one collects a bunch more of 'em and creates "fatbergs." They don't shred either...they stay intact. I've never tested a wet wipe's dissolve time, but I strongly suspect your guess of weeks is highly optimistic. I'm guessing a year or longer. If I can get my hands on some (unused!!!) without having to buy 'em, I'll put a couple of 'em in a mason jar of water and check it once a week.
The attached photo shows what one can do to a macerator pump...and they'll do the same thing in any toilet pump, manual or electric.

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
"Sailormatch.com" what is that Kermit? A tool to assemble a crew?

In days gone by that would have been "Shanghi-sailor.com" or "knock-them-on-the-head.com". The last one being a repeat of Caveman/woman days.

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
Remove the 4 screws that hold the pump onto the base, lift the pump, stick the tube nozzle into it and put a healthy squirt--at least a tablespoon--into it. Put the pump back onto the base, pump the toilet a few times to spread the grease all over the inside of the pump cylinder and you're good to go for at least 6 months, even longer if you don't use the boat much.
Will this procedure open the pump to incoming seawater? I'm not sure how the internals of the pump work. Yes, I can close the seacocks, but I'm curious anyway.
Thnks Peggy

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Will this procedure open the pump to incoming seawater? I'm not sure how the internals of the pump work. Yes, I can close the seacocks, but I'm curious anyway.
Thnks Peggy
Just lifting the entire pump off the base shouldn't start any sea water flowing toward it....you're not removing any hoses. However, any time you do any work on a toilet pump, the first thing you should do is close the intake any discharge thru-hull seacocks.

Why does your question make me wonder if you've never bothered to installed the required vented loop in the head intake--which, btw, belongs between the pump and the bowl, so would have no bearing on removing the pump from the base to lube it, but could prevent your boat from sinking in it's slip while no one is aboard if the toilet is left in the "flush" mode when leaving the boat with the intake seacock open..

Btw...if your toilet is not a PHII, remove the top of the pump instead of taking the pump off the base.

Jul 4, 2015
Hunter 34 Menominee, MI; Sturgeon Bay WI
Took your advice this season about the Super Lube grease, smearing it inside. It seems though that after the pump hasn't been used for a week or two, the first use is difficult to start the pump; the handle sticks quite hard. After a few strokes though it works fine. I wonder if I'm damaging the seals by forcing it. The unit is only one year old with use only during summer months. Jabsco twist and lock unit.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Doesn't sound like you used enough grease OR spread it ALL over the inside of the pump...'cuz if you had, the pump couldn't get stuck. You don't SMEAR it all over the inside, you SQUIRT at least a tablespoon of it into the pump...then pump a few times to spread it all over the inside of the pump cylinder...'cuz it's the edges of the seals and o-rings rubbing against the cylinder wall that need the protection from friction.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Doesn't sound like you used enough grease OR spread it ALL over the inside of the pump...'cuz if you had, the pump couldn't get stuck. You don't SMEAR it all over the inside, you SQUIRT at least a tablespoon of it into the pump...then pump a few times to spread it all over the inside of the pump cylinder...'cuz it's the edges of the seals and o-rings rubbing against the cylinder wall that need the protection from friction.
I'm going to make a careful observation; after Peggie mentioned Super Lube, I used it faithfully for a decade, and still do on many other applications. I did find this Dow 111 product to be longer-lasting if not as slick a coating. I have used it now for three years. Note this is an observation, not an endorsement. https://www.amazon.com/Dow-Corning-Molykote-Compound-150grams/dp/B002WDU1J8

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
In the product description there's a phrase in parentheses "....and water washout Lubricant for rubber and plastic O-rings (see Use Limitations)...." Those use limitations have to be in the instructions on the tube...what are they, Rick?