Registered users don't see ads

Pearson 39-2 Centerboard Cable Specs

Discussion in 'Pearson' started by mpbeagle, Jul 19, 2017. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. mpbeagle

mpbeagle

Joined Oct 4, 2013
    30 posts, 1 likes
    Pearson 39-2
    US Baltimore
    Can anyone tell me the length and centerboard attachment type (pin, bolt, eye) for the 1980s Pearson 39-2 CB cable. Mine broke and before I haul the boat, I want to know what cable/bolts to get. (BTW Rudy at DR Marine has no leads). Pictures would be even better if anyone has pics of the CB where the cable attaches.

2. inprin

inprin

Joined Sep 9, 2014
    8 posts, 1 likes
    Pearson 39-2
    US New Bern
    Did mine a couple of years ago. Use a 3/4 inch thimble (pin is 1/2" dia. I think) on 3/16 cable. 30' length. Have a proper cable made up with a thimble spliced in. Do not use dogs. They will bind and/or slip off. PO did that and I had to navigate the ICW with the board down. 8' draft up the ICW was not fun. Unfortunately, I made my new one 25'. Board only goes down half way. I will replace again when I pull for a bottom job next year. I don't have any good pics of pin on the board, just the cable going up the slot.

Attached Files:

3. mpbeagle

mpbeagle

Joined Oct 4, 2013
    30 posts, 1 likes
    Pearson 39-2
    US Baltimore
    Thank You Inprin

4. Rick486

Rick486

Joined Oct 1, 2007
    726 posts, 61 likes
    Hunter 44DS
    US Pt. Judith
    For future reference (hope not) I ran a sheet from one cockpit winch under the keel and over to the other winch and cranked up the board when my cable broke.

StargazerP303 likes this.
  5. mpbeagle

mpbeagle

Joined Oct 4, 2013
    30 posts, 1 likes
    Pearson 39-2
    US Baltimore
  6. Rick486

Rick486

Joined Oct 1, 2007
    726 posts, 61 likes
    Hunter 44DS
    US Pt. Judith
    Ha! Resourceful maybe but not "smart". Smart would have been replacing the damn thing before it broke. :)

7. NYSail

NYSail

Joined Jan 6, 2006
    1,486 posts, 30 likes
    Beneteau 423
    US Mt. Sinai, NY
    I assume old one is still in place..... good for you. Friend had his break and he thought he was doing a good thing by immediately getting Old one out. Old one serves as a nice messenger! Also to add life to your cable, when on the hard mark the cable so board is not fully in. I never cranked mine tight..... would leave board hanging about 4 inches so not to stress the parts. Cable never broke after 10 years and I continually used it.
    Also, I would make it 35 feet.... “better to have and not need then to need and not have!” Good luck!

Turn any toilet into a Raritan for a fraction of the cost
The Raritan LBA matches your existing bowl with the pump/plumbing of a PHII or PHC. save!
20% OFF innovative boat clips!
FixClip holds laundry, tools, anything to rails and life lines even in strong winds.
NEW, updated Get Rid of Boat Odors
The bible of marine toilets and plumbing, expanded and updated for 2016!
Gray Enterprises port gasket
Stop winter leaks. Compare our price!