Pearson 39-2 Centerboard Cable Specs

Oct 4, 2013
Pearson 39-2 Baltimore
Can anyone tell me the length and centerboard attachment type (pin, bolt, eye) for the 1980s Pearson 39-2 CB cable. Mine broke and before I haul the boat, I want to know what cable/bolts to get. (BTW Rudy at DR Marine has no leads). Pictures would be even better if anyone has pics of the CB where the cable attaches.

inprin

Sep 9, 2014
Pearson 39-2 New Bern
Did mine a couple of years ago. Use a 3/4 inch thimble (pin is 1/2" dia. I think) on 3/16 cable. 30' length. Have a proper cable made up with a thimble spliced in. Do not use dogs. They will bind and/or slip off. PO did that and I had to navigate the ICW with the board down. 8' draft up the ICW was not fun. Unfortunately, I made my new one 25'. Board only goes down half way. I will replace again when I pull for a bottom job next year. I don't have any good pics of pin on the board, just the cable going up the slot.

Attachments

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Did mine a couple of years ago. Use a 3/4 inch thimble (pin is 1/2" dia. I think) on 3/16 cable. 30' length. Have a proper cable made up with a thimble spliced in. Do not use dogs. They will bind and/or slip off. PO did that and I had to navigate the ICW with the board down. 8' draft up the ICW was not fun. Unfortunately, I made my new one 25'. Board only goes down half way. I will replace again when I pull for a bottom job next year. I don't have any good pics of pin on the board, just the cable going up the slot.
For future reference (hope not) I ran a sheet from one cockpit winch under the keel and over to the other winch and cranked up the board when my cable broke.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
I assume old one is still in place..... good for you. Friend had his break and he thought he was doing a good thing by immediately getting Old one out. Old one serves as a nice messenger! Also to add life to your cable, when on the hard mark the cable so board is not fully in. I never cranked mine tight..... would leave board hanging about 4 inches so not to stress the parts. Cable never broke after 10 years and I continually used it.
Also, I would make it 35 feet.... “better to have and not need then to need and not have!” Good luck!