Pearson 33-2 compression post or not?

May 21, 2011
Catalina 30 San Francisco
While puttering this past weekend on my 1987 Pearson 33-2, I was looking at the steel compression post bolts at where the large metal plate at the bottomof the compression post attaches to the floor. The 2 bolts at each end are in solid fiberglass , whereas the 2 in the center appear to go into a block of wool with wires going through it. I discovered the wood was soft and had clearly been waterlogged during its past 30 years in the bilge. But it looks like the wood is not load-bearing and the weight transfer from the plate is to the fiberglass . If so, then penetrating epoxy would probably be a workable fix. Hard to see into the bilge under the metal plate, so interested if any other 33-2 owners have noticed a similar issue and and know whether or not the wood under the metal plate is a compression post or if the large metal plate transfers the compression by itself where it rests on the fiberglass. Thanks!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
David.
May I suggest if you do not get any specific owner replies you try what some of us orphaned owners of old boats do.... Post some pictures and look at the task as a boat repair/informational search rather than a proprietary one sail design. You might get some innovative ideas from some of the boatowners on this sight. I have learned they have a broad range of engineering and practical knowledge to share. You can then judge the concepts that best fit your specific need or capability to address the issue.... Just a thought.

May 21, 2011
David.
May I suggest if you do not get any specific owner replies you try what some of us orphaned owners of old boats do.... Post some pictures and look at the task as a boat repair/informational search rather than a proprietary one sail design. You might get some innovative ideas from some of the boatowners on this sight. I have learned they have a broad range of engineering and practical knowledge to share. You can then judge the concepts that best fit your specific need or capability to address the issue.... Just a thought.
John- Thanks for the suggestion. The area in question is almost completely hidden and would require removing the mast and steel compression post to really see what is underneath, so was hoping that a fellow 33-2 owner might have had experience with the specific issue. I agree; if no replies then I may look at it as a general maintenance issue and repost to take advantage of the vast amount of knowledge out there by fellow sailors.

David

May 21, 2011
Update- Was at the boat this past weekend and with more time and on further inspection realized I could remove the floor panels and see directly into the bilge and under the compression post. After doing so, determined that what I thought was flexible plywood from the top was actually a thin strip of rubber gasket that was supposed to be flexible and the compression post was supported directly by the fiberglass bottom which was in fine shape. Better design than my former Catalina 30, which did have the compression post sitting on a block of plywood that could get wet and deteriorate. So, other than purchasing some epoxe anticipating wood repair, all turned out well and what I thought was going to be an extended project turned out not to be anything at all. How often does that happen on a boat?

Oct 22, 2014
Good to hear David. Thanks for posting the further discovery.
How often? It all depends on how lucky you are. Have you bought a lottery ticket? You may be due!
Fair winds and fun sailing your Catalina. They are fine boats.

May 21, 2011
Thanks, John. That luck did not carry over into Final Four bracket picks, unfortunately. And the current boat is a Pearson 33-2; the Catalina I left behind when we moved from San Francisco. I quickly learned that the deep draft and small sails that worked well in SF bay with 25-30 knots on an average summer afternoon would not have been the right choice for the much shallower and calmer Chesapeake Bay and tributaries. I previously lived in Seattle for 12 , and our annual sail in the San Juan Islands was always a high point.

Oct 22, 2014
Ok. my bad. I just read your avatar about the SF and Catalina 30.

You are in a great place for sailing. Yes the shallows sometime extend almost to the main channel. And shallow draft boats are always better when dealing with the shifting sands of the Bay. Sailed there for a couple of years in the early 70's out of NAS Norfolk, where I worked for the Special Services Boat House. A great 2 summers. Loved the flounder, blue fin crabs and soft shells. A real treat for the seafaring boater.

Got to first race in the MORC class out of the Norfolk Area. Good times.

Jun 19, 2016
Pearson P28-2 Mandeville, Louisiana
Hi David, would you happen to have a digital copy of the P33-2 owner's manual? I am headed to look one over this week and I would like to have some pre-read materials before viewing the boat. Thanks! Bob