Pearson 32 mast question

Feb 20, 2017
Pearson 32 Menominee Mi
Howdy
I have a Pearson 32 that I have been restoring. I am about to replace all the wireing, lights, and wind transducer in the mast. Looking from the bottom I see all the wires (and there is a wad!) run inside a track at the trailing edge of the mast. And there isn't much room. There are screws holding the track in place. My question is: Can I slide that track out easily? Should I have the mast supported perfectly level when attempting this? I would rather lay the wires down in the mast, then install the track. Pulling them would be a chore, if I actually could.
Thanks
Giddy Up

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Wires don't really wear out much unless you move them around a lot. not likely given your discription of the track. There should be extra (slack) wire at the mast head and steaming light to facilitate connecting the light. If you are careful you can reuse the old wire without splicing in the new lights. FWIW

Feb 20, 2017
Pearson 32 Menominee Mi
I would agree with you. But the wires are really rough looking. And very brittle.
I do have to run a new wind transducer cable down. I am up grading all the electronics because half of what I have doesn't work. Lol So I guess I am planning for the worse when I try to run that cable. I really don't mind working on the boat. So I am willing to take the mast apart and sort everything out. It's more important to me that it's righ, over saving money and time.
So I am still looking for information on sliding that rear channel track out.
Thanks for your input.
Cheers

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Besides the wires do you have anything else inside the mast, like halyards?
Wires are generally better secured by conduit. This is often pvc pipe attached to the mast inside by pop rivets. This keeps the wires from moving about as you sail (flopping inside the mast). Reducing movement means less chance of wires breaking from stress fatigue.
While not all of us have a Pearson, perhaps you might get an idea from the forum contributors if you gave us a picture.
Here is what mine looked like having been run thru the mast then the extra length folded over while we fitted the rest of the mast hardware. The black cable is the VHF/AIS lead that will be one piece into the boat cabin and to the radio to reduce signal loss.
Mast Wires.JPG