Registered users don't see ads

Pearson 303 : Yanmar 2GM(F) Core Cleaning Made Easy

Discussion in 'Pearson' started by StargazerP303, Feb 23, 2015. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. StargazerP303

StargazerP303

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    163 posts, 25 likes
    Pearson P303 #221
    US RockPort Maine
    Hello Yanmar fresh water cooled fans! I flushed out my engine system and was going to removed the core to have it cleaned. However, I noticed it would be easy-er after inspection to use a GUN Cleaning kit to ream out the pipe's rather the taking out the core. This saved allot of time and expense. So, from the front of the engine i remover the cover changed out gasket and used the 22 pistol gun soft quilt dipped into vinegar and it did a great job. Put the cover back on and started engine running fresh water to remove residue from the cleaning. Total time apox:30 min. I hope this helps someone with a fresh-water-cooled system.

Capt. Rob P303 #221 Yanmar 2GMF:)

Attached Files:

sailermaned likes this.
  2. gundaddy

gundaddy

Joined Jan 28, 2011
    40 posts, 0 likes
    Pearson 31
    US MD
    Brilliant! The gasket was readily available?

3. StargazerP303

StargazerP303

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    163 posts, 25 likes
    Pearson P303 #221
    US RockPort Maine
    Yes! There are 2 gaskets, the core and cover. NOTE: Do not try to reuse OLD gaskets for it will start to leak! Buy a new set of 4 this gives you 2 spares.

Here is some photo's (left to right) the first one was just removed.. and 2nd 3rd is after cleaning. I used "CLR" and soaked it for 10min then rinse with water. Note the 3rd one has a notch in it. its not a bad cover that's the way its made. The gasket covers over it as seen in pic 1(Left).

Regards, Capt. Rob :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  4. gundaddy

gundaddy

Joined Jan 28, 2011
    40 posts, 0 likes
    Pearson 31
    US MD
    Great advice. Thanks! Almost always false economy to try to reuse things like that. I'm also a fan of having spares for parts I've replaced. Usually pretty likely that if you've replaced it once, you'll replace it again.

5. lshingledecker

lshingledecker

Joined May 20, 2015
    5 posts, 1 likes
    Pearson 28-2
    US Annapolis
    I know this is an old post, but I'm doing this now. I'm wondering - did you open the back cover of the exchanger to clean it out, or just do the front? seems like any blockage in the pipes will get pushed out the back if I don't take the time to remove it as well. And then that junk might just clog up the pipes again.

StargazerP303 likes this.
  6. StargazerP303

StargazerP303

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    163 posts, 25 likes
    Pearson P303 #221
    US RockPort Maine
    No! leave Back ON! after you clean out with gun cleaner.. pour CLR into veins 2 cups full. let sit while you are putting back the front cap together. let sat 30 min... Start your engine and all the stuff in the back goes out the exhaust. You're Done! Note: I will not harm the environment got that straight from CLR Vendor. it's really like vinegar. Remember use gun clean swabs soaked in CLR first, then the brush.
    Regards Capt. Rob

Noflex Sewage Treatment
Treat sludge and odor problems in holding tanks.
Flexible steel chafe pads
Innovative new product made of flexible, laser cut stainless steel. Must see!
Too hot? INSTANT BIMINI ESTIMATES
Low prices, custom fit, no-wait estimates
20% OFF innovative boat clips!
FixClip holds laundry, tools, anything to rails and life lines even in strong winds.