Pearson 30 Propulsion System Overhall

Skoal

Apr 27, 2016
Pearson 30 Milford, CT
At the end of last season, while motoring back to my slip from a nice afternoon sail, I noticed a loud repetitive knocking sound originating from below. The frequency of the knocking seemed to follow the throttle - as I increased the throttle, the frequency increased; decreasing the throttle the frequency of the knocking decreased, and when dropping it to a minimum the knocking seemed to go away completely. I then wanted to determine if the source of the knocking was the BUKH DV10 engine, or something related to the drive train. To make this determination, I simply put the transmission in neutral and revved up and down the engine. There was no knocking or banging sound. I therefore concluded that the knocking was related to the drive train.

I managed to get the boat safely back to my slip without incident, however the knocking persisted the whole way back. After I tied up the boat, I tried forward and reverse at different RPMs and didn't notice the knocking anymore. Was there something attached to the prop that caused it to be unbalanced that became free after forward and reverse in the slip? Was the folding prop stuck causing the prop shaft to become unbalanced? What disturbed me was that the problem seemed to go away on its own without explanation.

I asked the yard mechanic to take a look at the prop area when he pulled the boat to determine if there were any signs of something that would have cause the prop shaft to be unbalanced. He came back that the Cutless bearing was worn, and that that was likely the cause of the noise. I seemed to remember there was always a little play in the bearing and was skeptical of his analysis, although there were no obvious marks anywhere on the hull that would suggest that something was wrapped around the prop hitting the hull.

So I started a project to replace the Cutless bearing. My plan was to perform a 'shaft-in' Cutlass bearing replacement using the 'Strut-Pro' bearing removal tool. First, I removed the Martek folding prop. Then, I cleaned up the prop strut to take accurate measurements so I could correctly specify and order the Cutless bearing. This is when I encountered my first obstacle - the Cutless bearing is a non-standard size - I measured 1"x1-3/8"x4-1/4" and the standard size is 1"x1-3/8"x4" - 1/4" short! My options are: (1) have a custom bearing made but that will take time and cost more, (2) use two bearings and cut them so that there combined 'stacked' length is 4-1/4" being careful to align the water channels, (3) use the standard size and justify it to the front of the strut leaving a 1/4" reveal on the aft side, or (4) use the standard size bearing and cut the strut to match the bearing. I'm leaning toward the last option.

The Strut-Pro tool I was planning to use to remove the bearing without removing the shaft turned out to be harder to find than I thought. My plan was to borrow/rent one because the price of the tool is around $400. In the process of looking around for one, I learned a couple of things. First, in ideal conditions, the tools works fine - but in many more 'less then ideal conditions' the tool is ineffective requiring the shaft to be removed and the bearing removed using traditional methods (e.g. hacksaw blade). Secondly, after talking to some yard mechanics it was recommended to remove the shaft anyway to check it it was bent. Replacing the Cutless bearing with a bent propshaft would cause premature wearing of the bearing. In fact, I believe my prop shaft may be slightly bent because when the prop key is at the 12:00 position there is space at the top of the bearing, and when the prop shaft is at the 6:00 position there is space at the bottom of the bearing. So I gave up on the 'shaft-in' Cutless bearing replacement and opted to remove the brass prop shaft and replace it with a stainless steel prop shaft.'

Removing the prop shaft will also give me the opportunity to replace the stuffing box hose and clean/repack the stuffing box. Maybe I would even explore the possibility of replacing the stuffing box with a drip-less system. Also, in order to get the prop shaft past the rudder, the rudder has to be removed. This would provide me with the opportunity to replace the rudder bushings.

So now the fun begins. My overall plan is as follows:
Remove prop (done). Send prop out to be balanced. Remove transmission flex coupling from drive shaft. Replace four engine mounts. Remove [brass] prop shaft. Remove Cutless bearing from prop strut. Re-bed prop strut? Remove stuffing box. Install repacked/new stuffing box/hose/clamps, etc. Measure and order new flex coupling and have fitted with new stainless steel propshaft. Install stuffing box, propshaft, coupling and align. Replace rudder bushings, rudder. Replace prop. Spash. Adjust stuffing box.

And of course I start this project at the beginning of the season. At the moment, I am wrestling with removing the flex coupling from the prop shaft.

I would love to hear from anyone out there with any similar experience that has any advise.

Thanks!
Prop Strut Length 2.JPG
Prop Strut.JPG
Shaft Low In Stern Tube.JPG
Wrestling with Coupling 1.JPG
Flex Coupling.JPG
Flex Coupling 1.JPG
Flex Coupling 2.JPG
Flex Coupling Internal.JPG
Transmission Flange 1.JPG

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Wouldn't mess with strut until you have a straight shaft to use as a guide. The engine looks like it needs to go up and to port to center the shaft in the stuffing box hole get all that straight with the new mounts, then check the strut with the new Cutless . It may be OK once you get the shaft positioned correctly at the engine end. It is a tedious and exacting job.. take ya time and write measurements to help yourself to visualize.. don't worry about the bearing length, use the 4" and it really doesn't make a difference if it is centered or left or right justified (flush end). Good luck

Skoal

Apr 27, 2016
Pearson 30 Milford, CT
Thanks for the info. I agree with your assessment that the engine is sitting low. I think I found a source for a replacement engine mount kit which includes the four flexible mounts and shims. They don't look too bad to replace, and I think I can replace one at a time without hoisting the engine - we will see about that!

Before I can order a new shaft to check the alignment, however, I need to get the old shaft out. Currently, I'm trying to get the old flexible coupling of the end of the shaft. I managed to break the claw off a wheel puller last weekend. I tried heat from a propane torch, but think I need to try more heat. I am going to try a a higher temperature 'MAP' torch this weekend. Since I know I'm pretty much replacing the shaft, I could just cut it out. My preference is to not do that, but if push comes to shove, I might have to.

Then, I have to decide if I am going to replace the flexible coupling. That will depend on how successful I am removing the shaft from the coupling without damaging it. Since I'm going through all the trouble, I may just replace it anyway for good measure. Since I can't seem to locate the original one, I'm looking at one from Federal Marine.

With the old shaft out (hopefully in one piece), and the new flexible coupling in my hand, I should be able to determine the measurements for the new shaft. The existing shaft is brass. I'm looking to replace it with stainless steel one (A22).

I also agree with you on the size of the Cutless bearing. I'm planning to order the 1"x1-3/8"x4" Duramax Johnson Cutless Bearing, and, if I don't remove the strut, justifying it to the front. I heard some other arguments that a reveal in front of the bearing (because it is centered or rear-justified) could affect the water flow through the bearing due to either cavitation or debris collection. This is probably a minor point. If, however, I have to remove the strut to properly align it or re-bed it, I will likely trim 1/4" off the back of the strut, making it flush with both ends of a 4" long bearing.

Jun 29, 2011
Pearson 26 Brunswick
I too have a Pearson 30 that needs a new cutlass bearing and I am curious as to how your project worked out - any hints before I start would be great - I am hoping to replace the bearing without having to pull the shaft - thanks

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
if you are replacing the shaft - a sawsall or abrasive cutoff wheel will free up the flex coupling and allow the shaft to be removed. You can then have the flex coupling pressed out at a shop.

Jun 29, 2011
Pearson 26 Brunswick
So here is where I am. Seems that on the older pearson 30's they used a strut that has a lip on the forward end that prevents the use of a Strut-Pro. Therefore in order to remove the cutlass bearing , I am probably (one last ditch effort tomorrow to free the bearing from the strut) i will be cutting the shaft (bronze) since my hub appears forever corrosion bonded to the shaft (see pic). Then I will get a new Aqualoy 19 or 22 shaft with a new hub and while that is being made I hope to be able to remove the bearing. There might be a whisker hope that I can fit the shaft past the rudder but if not I will have to drop the rudder - which for me is a bigger deal since I have a wheel and not a tiller. I will replace the shaft log hose while I am at it since it makes sense. Then with the new shaft, hub, log, I will reassemble and then use the Shaft-Pro to put the new bearing in. My bearing appears to be a 3 1/2 inch with a 1/8 inch metal wall over a 7/8 inch shaft. The larger, lurking issue is that the wear on my bearing may have been caused by the boatyard that did the bearing for the PO since they may have done the job by removing the strut and not aligning properly when replaced - this would require removing the fuel tank since the bolt connections for the Strut appear to be under the fuel tank. SO THERE YOU HAVE IT

Attachments