Registered users don't see ads

Pearson 28-1 stanchion rebedding

Discussion in 'Pearson' started by marvy1, Jan 7, 2019. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. marvy1

marvy1

Joined May 5, 2018
    8 posts, 0 likes
    Pearson 28-1
    US New Rochelle
    Hi - now that I have her out of the water, I have noticed that the stanchion over the galley on the starboard side is leaking enough to be annoying. Two main questions:

1) Has anyone successfully removed that stanchion? It is in a really tight spot from the main cabin side, and I can’t get to it from the cockpit side, so I am looking for a good approach.

2) Now that the temperature has dropped, if there is a soft core issue, I wouldn’t be able to epoxy it with any success until it warms up. Would taping over the holes do in a pinch? I have her wrapped for winter, but the little water that comes through the cover is leaking in this area, so I feel like taking out the old stanchion would at least allow me to stop the leaking inside and any further core intrusion, if it is going there.

Thanks for any help.

2. jssailem

jssailem

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    7,825 posts, 3,135 likes
    CAL 35 Cruiser
    US Salem, Moored Port Everett WA
    Marv
    I would be inclined to remove the stanchion for winter. Tape over the holes and run a dehydrator inside the cabin to try and draw out as much moisture as will occur over the winter... Then come Spring and warmer weather do the real inspection and repairs as needed.

3. marvy1

marvy1

Joined May 5, 2018
    8 posts, 0 likes
    Pearson 28-1
    US New Rochelle
    Thank you! It is a tough one to reach, but I am going to figure out a way somehow.

4. jssailem

jssailem

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    7,825 posts, 3,135 likes
    CAL 35 Cruiser
    US Salem, Moored Port Everett WA
    Let us know how it goes.
    It is likely a two person task to remove it.

Ready-made sheets and halyards
Now faster than ever, our calculator tells you what sizes you need.
NEW rigid hatch covers
Hatch protection like never before. Tough, secure, installs in seconds.
Teak companionway doors
Amazing artisan quality, custom made to fit your boat.
Merriman pedestal control head
Finally, an aluminum replacement for this YS Merriman part.