Pawl Oil

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
If that is similar to the Vactra way lube that I use on my lathes, it starts out like maple syrup then gets thicker as the ambient temperature gets colder. I would not use something that thick on a pawl unless I was only going to be in a very warm environment at all times and my springs were known to be in good condition.
The other problem with some way oils and chain bar lubes is that they are formulated primarily for steel, often contain high sulfur content, and can be corrosive to bronze in warm, humid conditions. I tested several bar oils, interested to see how increased cling might help, but they did not perform well.

Some of these are sticky enough to be a problem in very cold temps, but I doubt that is the major issue. Still, I think 85W-140 is heavy enough (remember that the gear lube vis scale is NOT a continuation of the motor oil scale--40 straight weight and 85W-140 are not that different).

BTW, engine oils are not a good choice for machinery lubrication. They wash off faster than pawl oil and even sewing machine oil because of detergents. Forget the Mobil 1.

The same additive that increases oil cling (or at least the same family) is used to increase cling in waterproof grease. It tends to shear and breaks down in high speed applications, but not this sort of thing.

---

If you are going to replace one part when you service a winch, springs are a good choice. They are cheap and they do gradually wear out, even on the best maintained winches. Then the pawls don't seat and all sorts of mischief ensues. I just replace all of them ~ 5 years. They will probably the only thing that will wear out in your lifetime.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
What about STP Oil treatment 50/50 with strait 30W? The STP is just there to make the oil stick where it is put

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
What about STP Oil treatment 50/50 with strait 30W? The STP is just there to make the oil stick where it is put

Redneck chemistry. There are several reasons motor oil manufacturers do not use high levels of tackifiers (which is all this is--a sort of rubber dissolved in the oil):
  • They greatly increase the viscosity at low temperatures. This could lead to pawl hang up, and in cars, oil circulation failure.
  • They don't last in cars. They are destroyed by shear and high temperatures in 20-100 hours.
In winches, they slow pawl action more than grease. I actually played with some variations (I have a collection of additives in my lab from another life) and found they did little positive in this application.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Redneck chemistry. There are several reasons motor oil manufacturers do not use high levels of tackifiers (which is all this is--a sort of rubber dissolved in the oil):
  • They greatly increase the viscosity at low temperatures. This could lead to pawl hang up, and in cars, oil circulation failure.
  • They don't last in cars. They are destroyed by shear and high temperatures in 20-100 hours.
In winches, they slow pawl action more than grease. I actually played with some variations (I have a collection of additives in my lab from another life) and found they did little positive in this application.
Thanks for the information.