Passage 42 Aft Transom Lockers

May 23, 2013
Hunter H42 Passage East Chicago and Hammond
Any Hunter 42 Passage owners experience water in the aft transom lockers?
I had to motor over to a beach on Saturday and noticed when under full power the transom was very low in the water (8.4 knots). Upon arrival at the beach I noticed about a foot of water in transom lockers. I have also noticed that I have water under the aft stateroom bed up against the transom wall that separate the lockers to stateroom.
I would have liked to troubleshoot further on way back to marina but had another emergency to contend with when the transmission coupling pulled out of the transmission. The transmission output shaft locknut spun off and had to be towed thru marina. Now looking online Yanmar wants $900-1400 for the stupid special socket that on that locknut! Trying to borrow one since I will never need it again after putting it back together (hopefully).
Anyway, was thinking of installing a bilge pump and switch in transom locker and putting rubber seals around locker doors. Any thoughts?

KD3PC

Sep 25, 2008
boatless rainbow Callao, VA
My P42 did that and I found a great deal of water coming in through the hatch seal and the "drain" hoses that should have drained the wet side of that seal, and wasn't. Keeping those clean and exiting out the step to the transom drain was the key to most of my wet areas.

May 23, 2013
My P42 did that and I found a great deal of water coming in through the hatch seal and the "drain" hoses that should have drained the wet side of that seal, and wasn't. Keeping those clean and exiting out the step to the transom drain was the key to most of my wet areas.
What seals? I know the 2 aft side lockers have drain channel with 2 drains each. Those are clear and no longer leak. My two aft transom lockers have no seal

KD3PC

Sep 25, 2008
boatless rainbow Callao, VA
Not sure whether it was stock from the factory or they were added, but they were there. I played with the garden hose for hours to see where that much water was coming in from.

best of luck. It is truly a pain to suck all that water out from behind the berth area. Poor design or something..

May 23, 2013
Nice...I figured there had to be some type of seal around the stern lockers. Any chance of a picture of what you got? you can email me at 1mcarlson@comcast.net

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
could it be you've a cracked deck-hull joint such that at high speed the stern squat lower in water allowing water to flow into boat? Just thinking aloud.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I would also check the deck joint and I have a rubber gasket on the stern locker doors from factory.
Nick

Jul 25, 2004
Hunter 42 currently in New Zealand
I have had issues with both of these areas. The aft transom was originally billed by Hunter as a watertight bulkhead. As you know, it does not "communicate" with the bilge and has no way for the water to egress other than manually removing it. When I got my boat (in 1992), there were only rubber "bumpers" on the deck side of the hatch; no gaskets. In large following seas I have not been able to keep some water from getting in there. To minimize the seawater ingress, I glued compressible gaskets along the high ridge (of the deck side of the hatchway) that sits between the hatch drain channel and the opening into the transom compartment. Then I added compressible-type clamp latches to the lid/deck so that it compresses the gasket when I close the hatch and close the latch. This keeps the majority of the water out, but there will always be some in there. It's a regular maintenance job to clean it out after passages and at long intervals.
The other area discussed is that area under the aft bunk by the rudder quadrant. That water comes in through the upper (side) aft lazarettes. There is a direct communication between the two via a hole in the wooden wall of those lazarettes. That area also requires removing the water from it manually. I have tried several ways to improve the situation up there. I regularly replace the gaskets, and I have added a second overboard drain on each side. (Instead of the two drain holes using a "T" for a single overboard hole, I removed the "T" and each upper drain has its own overboard hole). The water in those drain gutters STILL overwhelms the drainage system and I still get some water in the top of those lazarettes when we're shipping water on the leeward side or burying the bow. Way it goes. (Unfortunately I've got some damage at the bottom forward side on the aft-cabin side of those wooden lazarette sides. I can never get the water from coming in somehow . . . .

May 23, 2013
Paul,
Looks like same thing here. 3 rubber bumpers, no seal on transom lockers. I have already thought about the latches and getting seal material from McMaster Carr and adding so that will def be on my next to do list after I get engine fixed. As for the side lockers-was considering adding seals there as well. Although during rain it is enough to keep water out, I agree on a good heel or water on the bow it would overwhelm so may consider adding seals there as well. I might go ahead and when pulled out for winter add either a bilge pump in each of these areas or at least the one under bunk as it is a pain to pull new bedding on and off our new expensive mattress (we are live-aboards and Wife said need a real bed). Good news is she is now an expert at making the aft bed.

Jan 1, 2014
Hunter 42 Upper Chesapeake
Hmmm... I have a 1991. Mine does have a rubber seal around the opening; however, I usually have issues anytime the drain hoses get clogged - I check these constantly.

I do have a bildge pump under the after bed that exits the port side / stern. I installed a new one and added a switch to run it manually In addition to the automatic mode.

When you mentioned to closed compartment I was thinking you were having water in there. I took a round deemed grinder bit and created a better water exit (I also re-siliconed a few screw holes). I had read (maybe on here somewhere) that opening up the drain channel would help. I will try and remember to take a picture of this.