parts for Marlow 23 winches

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Dan
http://www.arco-winches.com/products/spares
This company is making parts for Barient and Barlow winches. Barlow and Barient are similar in design. They are a resources. Additionally you can find parts on EBay.
I've taken these apart and put them back together. I have 2 Barient 24ST's that I refurbished and they are installed on my boat in great shape.
Pictures would help to identify the parts. There should be no reason to drill holes in the winch. You may need to drill holes in your boat to install them.
Do you have a manual to the winch and the parts list?
You can find the manual/parts list here for the #23...
http://www.cheoyleeassociation.com/RestorationIssues/Manuals/Barlow Barient Winchs.pdf

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
I have posted this elsewhere before. The successor to Barlow/Barient is in Australia, and still supports both lines, with parts, diagrams, etc. It's called Hutton Winches, LLC. The phone number is +61 2 9623 2448. You can email a really helpful guy named Alan (sales@huttonwinches.com).

Winches are really easy to work on (as long as you don't drop parts overboard). I doubt you will have to drill any holes to repair the winch, so give it a try. Come back here for more help.

Jul 16, 2017
catalina 30 Wiarton On
Thanks Guys. My Catalina is a 78 and the winches look like standard equipment. Nothing in the diagrams looks close except the maintenance diagrams. My winches have 4 screws that go through the jaws, no spacers and into the hub which through wear and neglect has stripped the threads to the screw holes and made them oblong. The only reason they stay in is because of the top cap.

Oct 22, 2014
Dan. If you get a chance. Take a photo. And upload it. It really helps us to understand what you see and relate to what we know.

Oct 22, 2014
My boat is a 1974. Old is her middle name. But I use "mature" when we are sailing.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
I have a pair of Bronze Barlow 28 self tailers that I bartered for some work. They ended up being 3/4" too large to mount on my boat (really bummed me out). I took them apart and serviced them. They are really made well. I have had them in the classifieds here for a while with no offers, so I am planning on selling them on Ebay. Do yours look like this?

2016-11-17 01.03.31.jpg 2016-11-18 19.27.46.jpg

Do you guys think they would sell better if I polished them? I think they would buff up really shiney, and I really want a pair of self tailing winches that fit my Hunter.

Oct 22, 2014
Shiney is what many look for, but these winchs belong on an older boat. You need someone who is restoring a former gem that has been neglected. I would eBay or better yet find a site that caterers to the restorer. Maybe "Good Old Boat" magazine or "Wooden Boats".
While there are folks like me who like to tinker with old stuff lurking here, more of the demographic is new and shiney boats and things.

Oct 22, 2014
Dan. These are 28's you might want to check the base size will fit where you want to locate them.