Part Name? Safety Line threaded D hook.

Sep 14, 2015
Catalina 22 None
I did not know that the safety line D hook was a threaded part. It backed out and dropped to the bottom of the Chesapeake. What is this part called? Where can I get a replacement? This part is what the Pelican Hook clips into. I have a 1987 new design.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Look at the web site for APS. Hit back for harware/lifelines, and it will show you a "single gate eye" eye. Also pick up some black electric cable ties. Loop it through the eye and around the stanchion so the eye does not unscrew.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Yep I too have sent many an expensive stainless item to Neptune, and of course they were really good stainless so my magnet on rope was useless for recovery.

Sep 14, 2015
Catalina 22 None
Lifeline gate eye, like this ... https://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1|118|2358491|2358492&id=79082
Is this the first time you donated something to Neptune? If so, congratulations on starting a new chapter in your boating life. I could probably buy a new set of sails if I recovered all the stainless hardware just under my dock!
Haha, yup. I'm pretty proud of it. I literally setup everything on the trailer in the parking lot before I set it in the water. This has saved me many many times. Thanks for telling me the part name. Do you know the thread
pitch of the stock lines?

Sep 14, 2015
Catalina 22 None
Yep I too have sent many an expensive stainless item to Neptune, and of course they were really good stainless so my magnet on rope was useless for recovery.
Man you gave me an idea. Get one of those rare earth magnets and put it on the end of a fishing line and go fishing for parts at the dock.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
Do you know the thread pitch of the stock lines?
Problem with parts on sailboats -- they are such low-volume production that almost nothing is 'standard'. It depends on what was cheap a few months before your particular boat was built, and therefore, what was in the bin as they made her. That being said, I'll bet that there are only one or two versions of gate eyes available at West Marine, Defender, etc. so it may be a common part that has not changed in years. Best advice -- buy one from a place you can return it, and give it a shot.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Regarding rare earth magnets, only attracted to stainless steel that has been work hardened by damage, wear and tear etc. So even if it sticks to it you may not want it anymore. Sorry!

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I did not know that the safety line D hook was a threaded part. It backed out and dropped to the bottom of the Chesapeake. What is this part called? Where can I get a replacement? This part is what the Pelican Hook clips into. I have a 1987 new design.
What size wire on the lifelines?