Panel - What is this switch

DLB

Aug 21, 2016
Oday 322 St Clair Shores
IMG_3746.JPG
I purchased my O'Day 322 May 2016. Love the space! Great cabin. I have had to do some upgrades including new sails and a new furling unit, which are both going on in the spring. I'll also be replacing some hoses but otherwise she is in good shape.
I do have a question. What is this switch on the panel? Also, any thoughts on the 6 indicator lights? The only one that lights up at start is on the far left, oil pressure.

Oct 3, 2008
Beneteau 393 Chesapeake Bay
It's a Yanmar basic panel. Flip up the switch to check the alarm.Flip the switch down to turn on the backlight (hard to see in daytime).

Idiot lights are just that. They only come on if there is a problem. Not a great diagnostic tool but at least a starting point.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
The flip switch has a dual function. Flip down and it will turn the panel and compass lights on; push up and it will test the temperature sensor circuit by sounding the buzzer and turning the warning lamp on. When you switch the key on the oil pressure and charging warning lamps should come on as well a the buzzer. With the engine off there is no oil pressure and the alternator is not turning. The temperature one will not come on because the engine is not overheated and hence the flip switch at the panel. I see some cracks on the panel template and weathering. A replacement can be obtained from Yanmar (panel B) and they are really inexpensive. Transferring the tach and switches is quite simple. The costliest component in the warning system can be the buzzer at around $130 last time I checked for the multi point fixture. Sensors and bulbs are reasonable. Yanmar did put six warning lamp positions in the panel but mostly only three are used.

Last edited:

DLB

Aug 21, 2016
Oday 322 St Clair Shores
I do need to replace the ignition switch as the key doesn't stay in very well. Maybe will look into the panel as well.

DLB

Aug 21, 2016
Oday 322 St Clair Shores
I see in some of the photos that the kill switch can be run to the panel. Currently mine is inside the port lazerrette - a real bad idea. If I proceed with replacing the panel, I'll rerouted the kill switch so it is more accessible.
I also need to add a fuel gauge - mine is currently on the tank at the bottom of the port lazerrette again a bad location. I have to make room to crawl in the lazerrette to get on my hands and knees to peer at the tiny gauge every time I go out.
A further addition is an engine hours meter. It doesn't look like one was ever installed.
The joys and projects of boat ownership.

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I see in some of the photos that the kill switch can be run to the panel. Currently mine is inside the port lazerrette - a real bad idea. If I proceed with replacing the panel, I'll rerouted the kill switch so it is more accessible.
I also need to add a fuel gauge - mine is currently on the tank at the bottom of the port lazerrette again a bad location. I have to make room to crawl in the lazerrette to get on my hands and knees to peer at the tiny gauge every time I go out.
A further addition is an engine hours meter. It doesn't look like one was ever installed.
The joys and projects of boat ownership.
What is the name of your new boat? I saw one for sail a while back, but just too far away for me to look at her in person. I just remember it had big red letters across the side of the hull.... something space related I think.

Let me know,if you install a fuel gauge. My O322 has the same sight gauge as yours, and it sure is inconvenient to try and see how much fuel she is carrying.

Greg

DLB

Aug 21, 2016
Oday 322 St Clair Shores
Pacifique is her new name (formerly Hoyden).
Here is a photo of us
IMG_1538.JPG
preparing to head to shore.

DLB

Aug 21, 2016
Oday 322 St Clair Shores
We did replace the sails for next season, but kept this reminder.
IMG_3602.JPG

DLB

Aug 21, 2016
Oday 322 St Clair Shores
Ullman sails - about $1900 per sail - two full battons and two leech battons and with one reef point. Both main and headsail were originals and in sad shape.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Very nice. The PO replaced the Genoa at some point a year or so before I bought her, but I think the main is original. Did you get the main as a loose-foot, or a rope bolt?

When I replace mine, I think I will go to a loose foot, and 2 reef points. The full battens would be nice.

Greg

DLB

Aug 21, 2016
Oday 322 St Clair Shores
Loose foot.
The sailmaker advised a single reef for me. His opinion is that on the Great Lakes people tend to just drop their main and just sail on a furled headsail. If it is too much for that many just drop sail completely and start the engine. He was willing to do a second, but I decided I'm not doing much long distance cruising so passed on that.