Painting Stainless Steel Cowls

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Hi there, MainSail,

Can you (or anyone else with knowledge) please advise as to painting the inside of stainless steel cowls? These are the ones that screw into the flanges on the top of the Dorade boxes.

Mine have a sick-looking shade of red that's flaking off in chunks. I plan on removing the paint with oven cleaner, the real stuff, with Sodium hydroxide, rinsing them well, and then moving to the next step.

I'll finish with this Toro (mover) red I have that's a close match for the Westerbeke red, unless others suggest something better.

Should I etch or rough up the surface in some way? Is there a primer for stainless?

Thanks,

jv

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Power coating is fast, inexpensive, includes stripping and prime coating and is about the most durable finish available. I think that my three piece aluminum steering pedistal was done for about 150.00 three years ago. Still looks factory fresh. Another option to consider.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
I strip them and then give a good 400 grit wet sand on the surfaces to be painted. I then use Spotless Stainless to passivate the stainless. I then rinse dry, wipe with acetone and apply two coats of a two part primer such as Awlgrip 545 or even perfections primer and then finally paint the insides white.. Lasts about 8-10 years.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Thanks. Stripping them is tougher than anticipated!

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Rustoleum International red and 20 minutes labor.
Dorade boxes mounted close up (1 of 1).jpg

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
That looks nice. Stripping the old layers of paint is the toughest part, I think.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
That looks nice. Stripping the old layers of paint is the toughest part, I think.
I bet! I didn't do that, I just knocked any flakes off, gave the interiors a rough sand, put the cowls in a plastic bag and taped the opening around the mouths, 3 or 4 light coats with a spray can. Mine are old bronze sheet with a fading nickel plating so a perfect finish inside, would be overkill. :)