Painting bottom

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
OP posted a picture. Boat is on a cradle with 4 pads that can be adjusted up or down but not moved! The 31 Hunter has a toe-rail that extends outboard of hull side. 70 to 80 % of the boat's weight is on the keel and those pads are more for balance than support. That being said, what a lot of guys at my club do is simply run a 2 X 6 from the ground to under the toe-rail in line with the pad they want to lower, and block it at an angle to make it tight thus maintaining balance. Then lower the pad, clean and paint that 1 sq. ft. area, let it dry for 10 minutes, give it another coat and when dry re-adjust the pad in place, remove the 2 X 6 and go do another corner. I have a 6-leg cradle and do it like Richard. Good luck

Feb 26, 2011
Achilles SD-130 Alameda, CA
Boy, some serious misconceptions here.
I agree with Allen, Paint before splash. If it is ablative paint most will be dry to the touch in about ten minutes. I have touched up the pad areas ten minutes before the boat was splashed and the pad areas have always cured under water.
Anti fouling paints (be they ablative, modified epoxy or other) do not cure underwater. That is not how paint works. Paint "cures" when the solvents in it flash off into the air. This does not occur underwater. Your paint manufacturer will provide label instruction on just how long this takes and I guarantee it is much longer than ten minutes. When you splash a boat with uncured paint, that paint will remain soft and unstable underwater and will soon be scrubbed off. I have seen this thousands of times.

The ablative type paint never totally dry...
Sorry, 100% untrue.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Jssailem, in my case the yards have no idea where the bulkheads are. The boat is usually locked when they pull it...Another issue that annoys me is that they sometimes way over-tighten the stands which are only needed to balance the boat that rests on the keel....
Good riggers will tap on the outside of the hull to locate solid points. Not precise, but not entirely guessing either.

As for over tightening, remember that the stands will settle and move. You sure don't want them loose. And they are NOT just for balance. They must withstand the full wind load without the lee stand becoming slack, because if there is ever slack, the stands will start to walk. Thus, like standing rigging, they require a significant pre-load.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
When you splash a boat with uncured paint, that paint will remain soft and unstable underwater and will soon be scrubbed off. I have seen this thousands of times....
I have always felt this must be true, but I've looked at hundreds, maybe thousands of boats searching for clear evidence that the paint failed prematurely where the pads had been. I've never been able to catch a really clear case, only slight variations.

Pictures?

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Will, I think beer is probably what is limiting his motivation!

Now if you send me a bottle of bourbon...

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Jssailem, in my case the yards have no idea where the bulkheads are.
My Catalina owners manual specifies where to lift the boat. In addition, there are tags on the hull that say "lift here". One yard put the forward strap a foot away from the tag, and lifted the boat with the strap on the speed sensor paddle wheel. Fortunately, no damage resulted.
Over the years, I have found that my jack stands must be placed where the "lift here" tags are, otherwise serious oil canning of the hull results. It has become obvious that the bulkheads are located where the tags are, and I have made a diagram of their locations to refer to when the boat is put on the hard each fall.
Most yards will gladly place the straps or jack stands where you want them, but you have to be there to guide them.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
RoyS,
I was a bit concerned when I lifted my boat for the first time. They Yard folk said they had never lifted a CAL 35C boat. I found a rough image of the plan and we were ginger in pulling her out of the water to make sure the sling was properly set and in the place least likely to screw something up. When they set her down they tapped the hull as they set the braces. They added a couple of extras at my request, only to happy to as they did not want to see a problem.

On splash day it went pretty much as others have said. They put her in the straps and moved the braces. Painter splashed pain and maybe 10 minutes was allowed for drying and the time to get her across the yard to the docks. Then when in position down she went and I climbed aboard to check for leaks while hanging in the straps.

As of now a year into the new bottom paint, I would follow the same plan on the next haul.

Nov 10, 2009
Hunter 410 Rock Hall, MD
Always check with the marina first. As with my marina, they may insist on moving the stands for you. If you move a stand and domino boats around you, you may be liable for damages.

Jun 1, 2016
Hunter 28.5 Lake City, MN
My boat sits on a cradle, no separate stands. What I did was to schedule my boat to be lifted up the last boat of the day, and put in first thing in the morning. Problem was, it was a COLD rainy blustery day and I was putting on an ablative coating. I brought a heat gun along to dry the bottom coating. The job was miserable in the cold wind, took a while, but I got 2 coats under the cradle pieces.
Mike

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
As someone indicated previously if you move them without the yard knowing, you could be asking for trouble. My boat fell over a few weeks after hurricane Sandy and knocked down an entire row of boats. Unfortunately my boat was the cause due to a winter cover that was damaged by the storm. Thankfully all the boats that were knocked over were previously surveyed from the storm and were all listed as a total loss. So no harm and no fail foul. Can't even begin to image how that would have effected my insurance rates if I had ten boat claims on my record. Anyway that is why my yard and most others don't allow owners to do work below the water line. They don't want owners causing a domino effect.