Paint over Cetol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 18, 2004
Catalina 36mkII Kincardine - Lake Huron
Can I paint over a deteriorated Cetol finish? Will the paint adhere properly?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Cetol is usually over teak. I agree, what are you trying to do?

Feb 18, 2004
Why I want to paint over Cetol

Can I paint over a deteriorated Cetol finish? Will the paint adhere properly?

The reason I want to paint over Cetol is - I made a winter replacement for my companionway hatchboards from plywood (complete with vent and fitted to the opening.

I coated the replacement with Cetol which I have ignored for 6 years. I would like to sand it, seal the bottom edge with epoxy and paint it white.

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
Cetol is actually an alkyd 'paint' similar to enamel .... so its easily covered with an oil based enamel paint. Sprayed on Rustoleum (a fish-oil based enamel) would be the easiest.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Rich, the giveaway was "deteriorated"... I wouldn't paint over deteriorated anything. Either remove mechanically or chemically, sand down and repaint. Or else whatever's underneath is gonna make the new paint look like heck sooner or later.

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
Stu -
He stated these are 'winter' hatchboards, used in place of 'summer' boards. Sounds like he wants to keep the plywood from coming apart, and the finish to still look 'somewhat good'.

If he seals the plywoood edges with epoxy, and then coats with rustoleum, or other enamel - will work.

Feb 18, 2004
Painting over Cetol

Thanks for the replies. Knowing that I can paint a properly sanded surface sanded Cetol coated surface gives me peace of mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.