Painful to see

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
I am counting my blessings now. Saga is on the hard on her trailer at my parents' home. A massive storm hit that area and really did a lot of damage.

I heard of the massive storm. Later that night I got a text message from a friend that said that my Compac 23 blew off of the trailer. Lucky for me it wasn't my Compac 23, apparently it was another Compac 23 that was getting ready to be launched at my marina. The rig was up and the storm blew her off of her trailer right by the boat ramp. According to the weather service it was straight line wind gusts though people who live in Colonial Beach have been claiming that a tornado touched down. I couldn't imagine wind strong enough to blow a 3500lb boat off of its trailer.

Other marinas took significant damage. Here is a very short video: http://wtvr.com/2017/04/23/boathouse-marina-colonial-beach-destroyed-in-storm/

It sickens my heart to see the damage around my home town. I am glad that no one was seriously hurt or killed.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Wow, extensive damage to those covered slips. The entire dock complex looks like it has a bunch of neglected maintenance, and rotted piles. Reminds me of that big snow storm we had a few years ago that collapsed the covered slips up in Georgetown, MD. Huge boat damage there that kept the boatyard tradesmen busy for years.

A boat on a trailer is not as stable as a boat with it's keel on blocks and braced by solid jackstands. In a similar situation a few years ago, anticipating a storm I drove 4' sections of 1/2" rebar into the ground and laced a trailer to the ground all around. It rode out 90mph winds.

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Sorry for such damage. A Black Oak came down on my property and tore up the roof and entrance area to my boat house. It didn't hit the Catalina 250 stored on its trailer in the other side of the building, thank God! It's almost restored now, just some painting to do. Nasty weather throughout the land! Chief

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
That one boat with the roof on it, green hull sailboat, has a broken spreader. That really stinks! That looks like that boat is in pretty good shape too. Sad.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
I thought the same thing, you can see her owner really adored her. Everything is perfect. Hopefully he has good insurance.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
a sad fate for the com pac, to be sure. but it looks as though the only restraining strap tying boat to trailer was one near the aft cockpit end. when we trailered our cal 20, we always triple-strapped it to store on shore. use 2 straps to trailer frame near the cockpit end , one near transom one near companionway. use a 3rd strap in front of where the mast mount is. we left that boat stored on her trailer on the shores of lake erie triple-strapped , and had no problems.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
BADObsession;
glad to hear your boat is fine. Any word on how Joan S. is doing? Send me a private email.
Crazy Dave

Apr 25, 2017
Boston Whaler 240 Dauntless ontario
So sad to hear about the damage.
Make sure that your boat is insured. So if anything happens you would get the money for the loss.