Packing Extractor tool...do they work?

May 10, 2008
Catalina 355 Boston
just got around to repacking my stuffing box and encountered what I feared...the packing is dried out and not coming out easily (think what mice do to upholstery).
I’m very familiar with repacking and have reviewed all the How to’s many times (MaineSail of course, C34 writeups and I’ve searched the forum.
I’m specifically wondering whether the extractor tool works as I’ve seen mixed reviews. I’m currently working with every type of pick known to man (8 different sizes), hemostats, dental picks, needle nose pliers and all I’m getting is bits of flax. Went at it for 2 hours and I’m not even close to getting one ring out.
Before I order the extractor tool, I was hoping to get some feedback as I’ve read that the head is crimped on and tends to pull out. It’s also been suggested to soak with WD 40, but I’ve never had to do this before.
I know this subject is well worn, but hoping for some guidance on this...not a great start to my spring project list but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t expect this

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I’ve broken the corkscrew type in the stuffing box. They’re a pain to remove then.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
I've always used the corkscrew type and never broken one but I'm older, smaller and not as strong as Les. I can well imagine that they can be a pain if you break one off in the packing.

Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
I went through the same thing last season. The packing was so old it just came out in small flakes. I probably put 4 hours into it. I used the same tools that you mentioned. The last ring came out in larger pieces. Picks and forceps worked best for me. The corkscrew tool didn’t work for me. I’m sure it would of worked well of the packing was in better shape.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
The packing was so old it just came out in small flakes.
or dribs & drabs.
I agree with Les, on my box that tool wouldn't even fit in!!! NFG.
I found and have kept a thin small flat bladed screwdriver.
That does it every time.

If it's all dried up, spray some water in it. Really. It's normally wet when in use, no? :)

May 10, 2008
Catalina 355 Boston
Thanks for the quick replies...I have heard horror stories of the thing breaking off in the packing. I also suspect that hpgiven the state of my packing the corkscrew has nothing to bite into.
Stu, liquids are next on my list starting with water. I have a handful of mini screwdrivers.
Well the good news is I don’t launch until end of April:(

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Thanks for the quick replies...I have heard horror stories of the thing breaking off in the packing. I also suspect that hpgiven the state of my packing the corkscrew has nothing to bite into.
Stu, liquids are next on my list starting with water. I have a handful of mini screwdrivers.
Well the good news is I don’t launch until end of April:(
Oil if left to saturate long enough will swell the packing facilitating removal. Any non-petroleum based oil is preferable in case you end up spilling it. After learning that trick, I found it easy to remove with simple dental tools.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I have broken two of the corkscrew type of extractors. Apparently I am a slow learner.
I now use a cotter pin puller tool. It looks like a pick with a 90 degree bend at the end. Very robust; will not break. It is an extremely useful tool that I use for many jobs besides pulling cotter pins. I also use a small forceps that I bought at Harbor Freight.
prod_1615196612.jpg

May 10, 2008
Catalina 355 Boston
I have broken two of the corkscrew type of extractors. Apparently I am a slow learner.
I now use a cotter pin puller tool. It looks like a pick with a 90 degree bend at the end. Very robust; will not break. It is an extremely useful tool that I use for many jobs besides pulling cotter pins. I also use a small forceps that I bought at Harbor Freight.
View attachment 162900
Thanks Rich....I also have one of these and have been using it as my primary tool as it works better than my other picks, screwdrivers and mini pliers. The forceps don’t really have anything to grab yet other than bits of fuzz.
I will try to wet the mess next and perhaps try the non-petroleum oil idea (although not sure what oil is non-petroleum??)

May 10, 2008
Catalina 355 Boston
These have been invaluable...from Harbor Freight. They are only about 6 inches long. Thankfully I have excellent access to my stuffing box...
upload_2019-3-25_7-48-3.jpeg

Mar 11, 2009
Hunter 40 Saint John
or dribs & drabs.
I agree with Les, on my box that tool wouldn't even fit in!!! NFG.
I found and have kept a thin small flat bladed screwdriver.
That does it every time.

If it's all dried up, spray some water in it. Really. It's normally wet when in use, no? :)
I was going to suggest this as well, I always use a small flat screw driver, maybe tap it through packing with small hammer, then simply pry it out, It REALLY works great!!!!

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
View attachment 162900
Bingo..! Having repacked many hundreds of packing glands over the years, the one thing I find to be a waste of both time & money is laying down your hard earned cash on the "cork-screw" type extractors. I have a small collection of custom bent extractors, many of which started as a cotter pin puller or radiator hose puller. They work fabulously well. I also have a number of smaller picks too.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
These have been invaluable...from Harbor Freight. They are only about 6 inches long. Thankfully I have excellent access to my stuffing box...
View attachment 162901
As long as the orange handles don't slide off..... D'oh BTDT.... Cheap enough that when, not if, that happens you just toss it. Do be prepared to purchase two sets because those orange handles will eventually slide right off.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Thanks Rich....I also have one of these and have been using it as my primary tool as it works better than my other picks, screwdrivers and mini pliers. The forceps don’t really have anything to grab yet other than bits of fuzz.
I will try to wet the mess next and perhaps try the non-petroleum oil idea (although not sure what oil is non-petroleum??)
Olive oil. BTW the only tool I haven’t broken, I’ve dropped overboard.

May 10, 2008
Catalina 355 Boston
As long as the orange handles don't slide off..... D'oh BTDT.... Cheap enough that when, not if, that happens you just toss it. Do be prepared to purchase two sets because those orange handles will eventually slide right off.
Thanks Maine...yes I bought a couple sets for less than 5 bucks. So far they seem to be pretty robust, but being HF I was prepared for failure. So far more effective than my Craftsman picks and hose pullers cuz of size...:meh:

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I was going to suggest this as well, I always use a small flat screw driver, maybe tap it through packing with small hammer, then simply pry it out, It REALLY works great!!!!
Solstice, I forgot...a long thin sheetmetal screw. If it won't pick out, screw the screw in and use pliers to pull the screw back out, with packing twined into the point. Doh, it's always my first step and I forgot it. Thanx for helping me remember.
Now, where were those...??? :)

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:!!!! Grrr. Replacing stuffing box packing. Did it using dental picks in 2011 (only tool small enough to work. Took about four hours to get old out and new in. Access to the box on the P42 is well, :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:. Did it again this past season. Gave up after getting two of the three rings out. Long curved forceps worked pretty well, too. Third just would not come out. First two were still in pretty good condition, so decided rather than shoot myself, to put two new in. Soaking the old with some water or olive oil to soften them makes sense.