P42 port / starboard - rear storage hatches - why designed this ways

Jan 1, 2014
Hunter 42 Upper Chesapeake
Any idea why these houses were designed to drain into the bottom of the boat under the aft state room. Seems like he should be self-contained and drain out the side of the boat.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Any idea why these houses were designed to drain into the bottom of the boat under the aft state room. Seems like he should be self-contained and drain out the side of the boat.
Hi Keith, I'm a bit confused by your post. On our boat the aft deck level compartments, port and starboard, have sills that consist of a molded trough that captures any water and drains it away through hoses connected to a through hull, not down inside the boat. There was a time when these hoses became plugged from grime causing water to spill over the trough and into the quadrant area beneath the aft cabin berth. Once I found the source and cause, each season I now use a city water hose to clear these hoses during spring cleaning. That was several years ago and it has never recurred even during a heavy rain.

Jan 1, 2014
Agree I have the same drain setup. Just seems like a poor design to not segment those areas off from the inside. Seems like it would reduce potential odors from coming through as well as water if the drains were slightly clogged or overwhelmed.

Jul 25, 2004
Hunter 42 currently in New Zealand
The design of those upper lazarettes has plagued me for years. When it REALLY pours rain, or you're driving into green water and it runs aft along the deck, it can overpower those little drain holes. When that happens it gets inside the lazarette and wets everything down. At the bottom forward-facing bulkhead of those lazarettes, the interior veneer gets soaked at the bottom of the bulkeads and warps and cracks. That has happened to my starboard interior right next to the bunk/hanging locker (and to a lesser degree the port side as well). It seems that no matter what I do, it's always damp. The same is true for the portion of that lazarette bulkhead that faces athwartship under the aft bunk on both the starboard and port sides. I've experimented with different sorts of gasketing materials under the lazarette lids, but no joy. Finally I drilled additional holes through the hull and installed a second drain hose so that the two lazarette drain holes (which are connected by a "T" fitting and hoses) would not have to share a single drain hose. Still no joy; it's still damp. I have finally given up and resigned myself to just "deal with it." Now I just consider it one of those problems which I cannot fix. (I have bigger ones to spend my energy on . . . .).
Cheers,
Paul

Jan 1, 2014
I am sure it was simpler to build. I just like the idea of separate compartments when it comes to potential water entry.

I had it clog over the winter And luckily only filled bilge. On positive side some odor issues were fixed in the process.