P-18 Running Rigging

T_well

Sep 13, 2012
Hunter H23 Lake Sinclair
Just purchased a 1986 P-18. I was parking lot sailing today to "tune" the mast according to Scott's book. I have a question concerning some blocks and clamcleats. I have the standard blocks attached to the stanchions with corresponding clamsleats for the jib sheets. But I also have a couple of blocks atop the cabin with camcleats that correspond to them...one per side. I originally thought this was for running the halyards to the cockpit but the blocks are a couple of feet away from the mast so the halyards would be running off from the mast and be in the way of the mainsail. Are they an alternative point for running jib sheets? If so, could someone tell me the advantage of having them in so close to center as opposed to the ones out at the stanchions? Just a little perplexed. THX

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
The cabin top blocks and cams are probably the standards if i recall correctly. They are for jib sheets. Anything on the stantions are probably the add-ons,just gives you alternat location for jibsheets.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
The cabin top blocks and cams are probably the standards if i recall correctly. They are for jib sheets. Anything on the stantions are probably the add-ons,just gives you alternat location for jibsheets.

Exactly. Inboard better for close hauled. Outboard better for reaching.