Overheating Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dan Ruffin

Recently my Universal 5411 (Catalina 30 1982)overheated coming back into the marina. No water was coming out the exhaust. Checked the raw water impeller and it was ok. Checked the sea cock to make sure it was open, it was. This was a recently purchased boat that had some "steaming" during the sea trial and an old piece of impeller was found in a hose. It has run well for a month since then. Could pieces have found their way into the engine? If so, how do you get the little buggers out?

E

Ernie A

Check for water flow...

..just because the valve is open does't necessarily mean that water flows. The most common cause is sucking up seaweed or jellyfish. The check is simple. Close the valve, loosen the two hose clamps at the seacock, and back off the hose. Cycle the seacock valve. A serious pspurt of water will tell you if its clear. If not, get out the inflatable pump and plug the air hose into the seacock. Step briskly on the pump a few times. A blast of gurgles will tell you if the intake cleared. If not, then get out a coat-hanger or equivalent. If the problem isn't the intake, then check the filter to ensure the basket was properly installed and work downstream from the raw-water pump to see if you can locate a broken impeller vane. Good luck-- Ernie April

D

Dan Ruffin

Ernie You Were Right!

Checked the sea cock....the handle moved normally, BUT the sea cock had failed in an almost fully closed position. Just a trickle of water!! Is it possible to change a sea cock while the boat is in the slip? Or should I have it "short hauled" and change it on dry land? Dan "Ruffin It" C-30

E

Ernie A

There are a few option before hauling...

Now it gets tougher, Dan. However, before you suspect the valve itself, make absolutely sure that there isn't something outside the ball. Barnacles, muscles can give the appearance of a broken valve. You don't want to go through what follows for an intake full of goop. First thing to check is the valve handle -- I suspect that may be the trouble because if the stem turns, the ball usually turns. If the handle is held on by a screw, see if you can remove it. Depending on the valve, maybe the keyway in the handle is worn away so that it just rotates on the stem. If so, spring for a new valve -- just for the handle. Else, if the stem top has worn around the handle keyway and if the stem is metal, you can clamp a small pair of vice-grips on the stem for the rest of the season. It will give you a good temp handle if you're careful. I'm not sure I'd try that with a plastic valve stem, although it could give you an initial open so you can use the motor. Before you open, you could even install a back-up valve on the seacock nipple. Probably an OK fix until fall. Failing this, dive over the side and drive a wood plug into the intake from the outside. With another wooden plug at hand (in case you pop out the first), unthread the seacock from the thru-hull and install a new replacement seacock. When installed, clamped and closed, dive again to remove the plug. If you have a yard tackle it, they may want to haul anyway to avoid liability of a below WL opening. Perhaps you might ask, anyways. Good luck, Ernie April

Status
Not open for further replies.