Outhaul replacement line

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Jon and Dan. Not positive (cause I haven't tried it), but I don't think the scope of the internal system has enough length to handle the necessary reach required for even a single reef point. YMMV. Let me know if you try it.
The H27C has a provision for "jiffy reefing" with sheaves in each boom end. You just have to run a line with enough scope to reach from the front of the boom to the aft end, up to the reef cringle, back down under the boom and back up to the cringle again.
G.

Nov 2, 2016
Hunter 27 2 Rock hall MD
Jon and Dan. Not positive (cause I haven't tried it), but I don't think the scope of the internal system has enough length to handle the necessary reach required for even a single reef point. YMMV. Let me know if you try it.
The H27C has a provision for "jiffy reefing" with sheaves in each boom end. You just have to run a line with enough scope to reach from the front of the boom to the aft end, up to the reef cringle, back down under the boom and back up to the cringle again.
G.
That’s really good to know. I guess it depends on where we think we need the assist of the purchase system. I’m not as experienced as you gentlemen but it feels like reefing might need less assist?

Jan 24, 2009
1981 Cherubini Hunter 27 Shipwright Harbor Marina, MD
I never pulled the boom apart, so I don't have first-hand knowledge, but I think there are 2 different systems, the outhaul and the jiffy reefing, the shuttle block is for the jiffy reefing and the outhaul line just runs from the cam cleat at the gooseneck through a turning block on the end of the boom and is tied to the outhaul slug. I'd do some more internet searching on Google images for a diagram, before I get too far into it. The borescope is a good idea.

Alctel

Dec 13, 2013
Hunter 36 Victoria
I managed to replace mine, blocks and all without taking the boom off the mast. I took the end of the boom furthest from the mast off, and replaced everything. Fish tape helps. The block connected to a pin that went through on the mast side, so I tied a loop in the new line and hooked it and got it through the pin, working from the top. Fiddly, but less work than removing boom from mast

May 27, 2004
Jon and Dan, I've owned my H30C since new. The "shuttle block" is for the out haul. It needs mechanical advantage as it is used when the sail is 'wind loaded'
(i.e. going from light wind conditions to breezier in order to flatten the main sail.). The reefing line is used when you are reducing sail and in a luff position, with less 'wind load' on the sail.

Nov 2, 2016
Hunter 27 2 Rock hall MD
Jon and Dan, I've owned my H30C since new. The "shuttle block" is for the out haul. It needs mechanical advantage as it is used when the sail is 'wind loaded'
(i.e. going from light wind conditions to breezier in order to flatten the main sail.). The reefing line is used when you are reducing sail and in a luff position, with less 'wind load' on the sail.
Thank you. That’s how I understood it too and it does make sense that youd need the assist while the sail is under pressure. I’m headed to the boat this weekend and will provide pictures as I break into it, in case this topic comes up again.

allanb

Oct 26, 2017
Hunter 27 1978 Seattle
To clarify this for those that actually own early 27 Hunters, the picture of the outhaul assembly outside the boom is correct. And you will need to remove the casting at the mast end of the boom and the bolt near that to replace the line. The OTHER picture of the mast end of the boonm is NOT correct. The outhaul line is meant to drop straight down out of center sheave and cleat to a small horn cleat on the bottom of the boom. The sheave and spring loaded cam shown is intended for a reefing line. BTW Rigrite sells an updated sheave and lever cam assy to replace those reefing parts. They also sell a complete outhaul assembly to replace all internal outhaul parts. Look at the Kenyon E-section boom page in their online catalog. I know these things because I have become fairly intimate with my boom lately......

Nov 2, 2016
Hunter 27 2 Rock hall MD
To clarify this for those that actually own early 27 Hunters, the picture of the outhaul assembly outside the boom is correct. And you will need to remove the casting at the mast end of the boom and the bolt near that to replace the line. The OTHER picture of the mast end of the boonm is NOT correct. The outhaul line is meant to drop straight down out of center sheave and cleat to a small horn cleat on the bottom of the boom. The sheave and spring loaded cam shown is intended for a reefing line. BTW Rigrite sells an updated sheave and lever cam assy to replace those reefing parts. They also sell a complete outhaul assembly to replace all internal outhaul parts. Look at the Kenyon E-section boom page in their online catalog. I know these things because I have become fairly intimate with my boom lately......
Yeah, every challenge provides us an opportunity for a more intimate relationship with our boats! Thanks for the information.
Jon

Feb 11, 2017
I realize you do not have a Catalina, but you may find the info linked here helpful as the internal outhauls on most boats are very similar https://www.catalinadirect.com/inde...nal-c-28-w-external-reefingbr101-purchase.cfm
I bought the outhaul kit for my boat and it made a world of difference. You could actually make your own. The toughest thing is getting the end caps off the boom - lots of PB Blaster, tapping, and a little heat

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
I realize you do not have a Catalina, but you may find the info linked here helpful as the internal outhauls on most boats are very similar https://www.catalinadirect.com/inde...nal-c-28-w-external-reefingbr101-purchase.cfm
I bought the outhaul kit for my boat and it made a world of difference. You could actually make your own. The toughest thing is getting the end caps off the boom - lots of PB Blaster, tapping, and a little heat
My dock neighbor is in the process of redoing his mast and boom on his Catalina 36. He replaced the out-haul hardware with new blocks and Dynema line. I will try to get some pictures before he seals up the boom.

allanb

Oct 26, 2017
Hunter 27 1978 Seattle
No pics, but I will probably stop at the boat tomorrow for a little bit. I'll see what I can do. I have not yet replaced my outhaul, but it is intact and I have upgraded the reefing setup.

allanb

Oct 26, 2017
Hunter 27 1978 Seattle
First pic is the gooseneck end of the boom. you can see the new lever action cam and the stainless plate that keeps the reefing line from coming off the sheave. Other side is the same. Below, in the middle, you can see the outhaul line coming out to a cleat not shown. Pics 2 and 3 are the boom end from under and above. Reef lines go to the two reef point cringles. Wire comes out the middle to the sail clew.

Last edited:
May 27, 2004
Well done Allan. Thanks. They will go in the archive for future use and reference.

Apr 29, 2016
Hunter 27 Atwood Lake, OH
Jon - My Hunter 27' outhaul is exactly like ggizzards first photo. I took the boom off the boat two seasons ago and took it home for the winter and disassembled the mast end, removed the bolt and took the entire outhaul assembly out. I ordered a new line off this site matching the existing with a both ends prepped the same. While that was on the way, I cleaned and inspected the blocks, dry lubed and reassembled. Also refinished the boom and added hardware for lazy jacks in the warmth of the basement. I also replaced the topping lift line and added a shackle as I had cut the old line free of the topping lift cable. Also strung a new reefing line, vang, and mail sheet for the traveler while I was at it. I robbed the saran wrap from the kitchen to wrap everything tight to the boom to transport to the boat in the spring. It's been back on the boat for two seasons, certainly was worth the effort over a long winter here in Ohio. Sorry no photos of the outhaul, but again it looks exactly like ggizzards photo above.

20170316_062744.jpg 20170316_062749.jpg 20170317_061406.jpg 20170317_061439.jpg

allanb

Oct 26, 2017
Hunter 27 1978 Seattle
Looks like you removed the spring loaded cleats for the reefing lines and added horn cleats on the boom. The spring loaded cleats were not a great design, IMHO. Boom looks great! Got me wondering what a "mail sheet" was. I did a google search before realizing it was a typo!

Last edited: