Outer banks JOY

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Im sitting in a HuddleHouse with my youngest daughter and we are half way to a marina in Edmonton NC for a 10 day cruise. I’ve done this with each of my kids when they graduated HS.

This is a shot of the boat taken last night ... charging the batteries. And there is a chart of our intended route. Each color represents a different cruise. More to come as the week progresses.
img_0830.jpg
7555D14C-D487-40F2-9859-AAE11FC7EC70.jpeg

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I am a fan of the area. My in-laws rented a house near Corona lighthouse years ago. Very pretty lighthouse. There's a great nature boardwalk on the bay side that winds through the swamp, water moccasins sit below and give you the evil eye as you walk by. A deer jumped the walk in front of us and no one at the nature center believed me when I told them I saw gator tracks in the dirt by the road.
Another time, my wife and I took the ferry out there to camp. The storm blew our tent over and the mosquitos tried to carry is away. It was fun though.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Feb 8, 2017
MacGregor MacGregor 25 Middle River
All the many times I've been to the Outer Banks over the years, I've never brought the sailboat, but have wondered what the sailing would be like there. It sounds like a wonderful tradition! You are creating treasured memories for both you and your kids - so kewl! I look forward to hearing about your adventure. Be safe and enjoy!

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Well guys....

I'm a bone head! I made such a rookie dumb classic mistake!

The boat was set up and I was launching... and the boat was not perfectly lined up. So in a rush, I decided to pull ahead about 10 more feet to straighten her out and ... I hit an overhead power line. The rig came down... busted up a lot of stuff. I bungee tied up the mast and loose rigging, and headed home.

No one was hurt and I guess that is enough but I'm not in a good head space today. I'll assess the damage today and probably secure the boat for an extended storage in the yard. I probably won't be on here for a while.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Oh man. Feel for you. I remember the old Navy admonition. “Watch the overhead”.
Usually said after I banged my head into something like a steam pipe.
Stuff happens. You’ll get through this.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I am so sorry to hear that.
I don't understand why powerlines have to be hung so near boat ramps anyhow.
I'm glad you or anyone else wasn't hurt. Get well soon and get back on the water asap.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Feb 8, 2017
MacGregor MacGregor 25 Middle River
Wow - you were really lucky not to get lit up! So sorry your trip got skunked, but especially glad you or anyone else wasn't injured. I've had to deal with power lines in launch areas from time to time - never any fun and a bad safety design, to be sure. The one thing that makes me always look up when boat is on the trailer with the mast up: I saw a boater hit a power line years ago. You don't tend to ever forget the fireball and accompanying mayhem...

Feel better soon and I agree with Will: get back on the water asap!

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
So sorry about the accident; thankful that no one was hurt.
And, jump on those repairs so that you and your daughter can redo the cruise. Admiral & I visited outer banks many years ago and did a sunset sail on the sound. Traveled from VA on down to Hatteras. Took the ferry to Ocracoke Island. It is a beautiful area with lots of maritime history.
Should be in electrical codes that no overhead electrical lines at boat launches period. Too many things to do & distractions that can lead to disaster. Accident waiting for a place to happen.

Last edited: