Outboard Oil Extraction

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Time to change the oil in my Suzuki DF2.5 Outboard. I have been meaning to do it since I cleaned out the carburetor several months ago. I got motivated and looked for a device that could get the oil out, but either they were too flimsy or too expensive. And that is just for a one-time oil change.

So I got to thinking. Ob boy, here we go again. So what did I come up with? An empty coffee jar, some hose, and a old Intex air pump.

Drilled the large hole first (just a wee bit too big, dang it) and used butyl tape to give it a better seal. Still had too much air seepage when testing so I used the tape on the cap and that made it better. But I still have air seepage.

Next drilled a small hole for the air pump. That went better and I have a very tight fit.

Now the test. Inserted the hose in the oil tank of the outboard. Put the pump on the jar and turned it on. Whoot. Oil came out. Wasn't real fast but fast enough. Had to keep the pump sucking the oil because when I stopped the pump, the oil stopped flowing. Yeah, the jar was below the engine.

So what do you do to get your oil out?

DSCF4481_1.jpg

Oil in the jar! Whoot
DSCF4482_1.jpg

Small hole for the air pump. The pump runs in vacuum mode by the way (I knew you knew that).

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
I use the same oil extractor for diesel engine on my df2.5

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Carbureted engine waste oil accumulates gasoline. That fan motor doesn't look like a spark-protected device.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Interesting Gunni. I did detect a hint of gasoline odor in the extracted oil. I thought it was my imagination. I'll have to pay attention to that. Thanks for the heads up.