Outboard Mount Suggestions

Jun 23, 2017
NorthStar 22 Catalina 22 (under restoration) Lake Red Rock
My Catalina 22 project is in deep need of a new motor mount. It had a Mercury 9.9 on it and didn't handle the weight well. From the twisted looks of it the PO must have gone down the road with the motor on the mount.
Have any of you found a good deal on a good mount? I see them all over eBay but no clue what to look for. I do not plan to pay what Catalina Direct is asking for theirs. I am sure it is a nice mount just not in my budget! Thanks

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Catalina Direct sells versions of the Garhauer mount. I think there are 3 different versions, each one with more springs for a heavier motor, but all the same basic design of welded SS tube. The handle to lift the motor and mount is far superior to the handle found on the more typically distributed Garelick mounts. The Garhauer is spec'd on the Sage 17, and I've gone over that mount with the former production manager for Sage Marine. It may be more expensive than what you'd find from Garelick, but I would not hesitate to spend the extra for the Garhauer. I've been burned by "penny-wise, pound foolish" before.

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
I'm going to respectfully disagree with Brian S.:) The Garelick 4 stroke mounts are much stiffer due to there box (parallel channels ) design especially side to side. The handle design is much wider if someone needs to use two hands. The height adjustment mechanism is far superior and can be locked in position with the twist of a knob so it doesn't bounce out of the slots. Comes with an up position lock. It "is" made of anodized aluminum but then so is your mast. I've towed 10,000 miles with a 6hp Tohatsu on the mount (transom re-enforced) and would never do that with the Catalina units I've had. I've used both and will always go with the Garelick now. My wife, Lee, would never allow me to change back as she never had a problem with the Garelick because it would never bind when pulling at odd angles. Plus if you search around you can find a good price.:biggrin:

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
LeeandRick are very experienced and knowledgeable folks. So I'm gonna agree and disagree with them. And I got pictures!

Ok, first, for the Garhauer mounts sold by Catalina Direct, and, if you're a manufacturer or distributor, maybe from Garhauer themselves. (I understand they are easy folks to deal with...) Here's a pic with the nice, broad handle, and nice locking detents for up and down positions:

Screen Shot 2018-06-29 at 8.40.08 AM.png

And now here's the newer Garelick 4 stroke aluminum mount they may have been talking about. Hmmm.... looks like they've added a really nice full hand handle at the top. Deep teeth for position detents. Oh, and look at these big red knobs! These must be the locks! Nice touch! Funny, seems like the same overall design of the Garhauer, executed in folded sheet metal, where the Garhauer is welded tubular SS.

Screen Shot 2018-06-29 at 8.41.10 AM.png

And now for the old skool 2 stroke mounts which were very common to find everyone selling about 5 years ago, and which is the stock on my boat. Yeah, it sucks. It works, but it sucks at the same time. Notice the exceedingly small 2 finger lifting handle, and the relatively shallow position detents. Mine often doesn't lock into position well, but then again, it is over 30 years old. I suspect at some point, I will have to replace mine, and I'll have to cut all kinds of access holes in the starboard lazarette or transom in order to install a new one. I'll also have to fabricate a wider mounting wedge, but it's not really a big deal, what with building it up with plywood and then fiberglassing over. I've seen enough folks post pics of their build, I'm sure I can do it pretty easily. Not that I want to cut holes and contort and reach in to do this particular project... :D

Screen Shot 2018-06-29 at 8.41.29 AM.png

One thing to note, you have to keep an eye on the black poly plastic motor mount pad. I've heard that when they get old, they can shear right off, and down goes the motor. To be fair, I have also heard the same stories about old skool plywood mount pads... Always have a proper tether from the motor to the boat!

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
Nice comparison Brian. Some other things you might add,
Garhauer has bronze bushings at the pivot points the Garelick has plastic bushings
Garlick has multiple depth stops vs 2 for the Garhauer (we actually used them all on the O'Day 23, one was perfect for maintenance while sitting on the dock)
Garlick is anodized aluminum extrusions (not sheet metal)
Garhauer has stainless around the mounting pad and at least on the older ones the screws on most outboards would compress
on to the stainless
Wow I'm confused :) we should have used specimen A :beer:and specimen B :beer:
I've never realized until Brian posted pictures exactly why Lee likes the Garlick over the Garhauer (she does 90% of the driving sailing and docking), It's the stiffness of the handle side to side and especially, the direction of the catch slots. I'm guessing it is easier for her (and me) to pull toward us to get the handle to release and push away to lock. It never catches in the slots when you are making the pulling motion to raise and we don't have to hang over the back of the boat as much to raise and lower. Oh well we have an inboard now and she loves it.;)

I do have an old 2 stroke mount like Brian's last picture if someone wants to come by and get it.
Thanks Brian S :waycool:

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Dang, LeeandRick, you just called out all the stuff about my old 2 stroke mount that I don't like! It almost, but not quite, makes me want to go to the trouble of swapping it out! Next spring's project is already on the list: replacing the forward opening hatch. Maybe I'll put it on 2020's list...

Mar 9, 2009
Macgregor 26S New Port Richey, Fl
See if you can find a CMC tilt&trim unit on craigslist. Lifting lowering and setback all easy.

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
LeeandRick are very experienced and knowledgeable folks. So I'm gonna agree and disagree with them. And I got pictures!

Ok, first, for the Garhauer mounts sold by Catalina Direct, and, if you're a manufacturer or distributor, maybe from Garhauer themselves. (I understand they are easy folks to deal with...) Here's a pic with the nice, broad handle, and nice locking detents for up and down positions:

View attachment 152966

And now here's the newer Garelick 4 stroke aluminum mount they may have been talking about. Hmmm.... looks like they've added a really nice full hand handle at the top. Deep teeth for position detents. Oh, and look at these big red knobs! These must be the locks! Nice touch! Funny, seems like the same overall design of the Garhauer, executed in folded sheet metal, where the Garhauer is welded tubular SS.

View attachment 152967

And now for the old skool 2 stroke mounts which were very common to find everyone selling about 5 years ago, and which is the stock on my boat. Yeah, it sucks. It works, but it sucks at the same time. Notice the exceedingly small 2 finger lifting handle, and the relatively shallow position detents. Mine often doesn't lock into position well, but then again, it is over 30 years old. I suspect at some point, I will have to replace mine, and I'll have to cut all kinds of access holes in the starboard lazarette or transom in order to install a new one. I'll also have to fabricate a wider mounting wedge, but it's not really a big deal, what with building it up with plywood and then fiberglassing over. I've seen enough folks post pics of their build, I'm sure I can do it pretty easily. Not that I want to cut holes and contort and reach in to do this particular project... :D

View attachment 152968

One thing to note, you have to keep an eye on the black poly plastic motor mount pad. I've heard that when they get old, they can shear right off, and down goes the motor. To be fair, I have also heard the same stories about old skool plywood mount pads... Always have a proper tether from the motor to the boat!
On my last boat I installed a 2 stroke mount like the one pictured and it worked OK. My current boat came with thw Garelick 4 stroke mount and it is great! I can pull the motor out of the water with one hand to the top and tighten the red knobs to secure it. The only problem is if the motor is locked straight, the remote control lines will hit the bracket and bend. I unlock the motor and turn it to the side before I raise it and everything works

Attachments